Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why would we 'cheat' when primal/paleo IS health? page 6

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    @canio6 - YES! agree...life is to LIVE, so why call having say an ice cream cone (including the waffle) 'cheating', my original question. What do we mean? I find that so many of us say "I cheated and ate_____", as if there is some grand scheme to which we supposed to adhere.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    mindful eating is a good concept - much better than the cheating. Yesterday we had duck with plum sauce, last time i made plum sauce i left out the soy sauce and the sugar and it wasn't particularly nice. yesterday I used half the soy sauce and 1/3 sugar. It was really good and I didn't eat a lot of it. My portion involved 2 tsp sugar and about 1 tsp soy sauce. With the nice fatty duck there was negligible effect on my blood glucose - we eat it about once a month. I don't regard it as a cheat, It was a choice and a compromise. I also chose not to eat it with pancakes.
    Maybe some people say cheat to acknowledge they feel they shouldn't have eaten something or it might remind them not to do it regularly or it might absolve them of guilt.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Lol at blaming the fat inside of bread for what bread does. You know I used to sit and eat a whole loaf of wonderbread at a time? Plain, white bread. And I stayed hungry, hungrier than before I opened the loaf up.
    Croissants are mainly fat by calorie, usually chocolate as well. Add extra butter to a chocolate croissant sandwich and it is extremely fat-heavy. Eating any of those ingredients on their own isn't nearly as enticing, even sweetened but fat free chocolate. It's when they become flavored fat bombs that they are far easier to overconsume. Wonder Bread is processed and textured to be highly palatable (squishy, salty, slightly sweet, etc.) Most people won't eat plain bread in excessive amounts, I'm not one of them. I love it, and love it even more layered with butter! But point being: I wouldn't immediately put the blame on the minority macro in a palatable food. Take all that lovely fat out and it's kind of gross to think about what's left.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Paleo foods are so delicious. It's easy to cheat by eating 2nd helpings when really you should be having half servings.
    Oh, too true! I sometimes have completely paleo pig outs when I make something a bit too delicious...

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Croissants are mainly fat by calorie, usually chocolate as well. Add extra butter to a chocolate croissant sandwich and it is extremely fat-heavy. Eating any of those ingredients on their own isn't nearly as enticing, even sweetened but fat free chocolate. It's when they become flavored fat bombs that they are far easier to overconsume. Wonder Bread is processed and textured to be highly palatable (squishy, salty, slightly sweet, etc.) Most people won't eat plain bread in excessive amounts, I'm not one of them. I love it, and love it even more layered with butter! But point being: I wouldn't immediately put the blame on the minority macro in a palatable food. Take all that lovely fat out and it's kind of gross to think about what's left.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion. That is absolutely not mine. I can eat butter just like that because I consider it a treat on its own (the amount of butter in a given croissant is definitely not something I would be afraid to eat on its own). My problem with croissants, and baguettes, and most of the French pastries I used to indulge in, is sugar and wheat. I know their effect on my body, how my health was deteriorating because of those. I kept only the butter and even increased my consumption of it after I ditched wheat and sugar. And guess what ? My health is doing MUCH MUCH better. I am not so much talking about fat vs carb here, actually I am not at all. I eat carbs as well, that's not the problem. If you do fine on wheat and sugar, please, eat them as much as you like. I am not here to say that those are bad in the absolute for every one. They happen to fuck me up. And you know, since I removed those items from my diet, I don't even feel like having croissants or baguette. I have "fond" memories of having indulged and enjoyed them, but I will keep it that way: memories.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Thanks for sharing your opinion. That is absolutely not mine. I can eat butter just like that because I consider it a treat on its own (the amount of butter in a given croissant is definitely not something I would be afraid to eat on its own). My problem with croissants, and baguettes, and most of the French pastries I used to indulge in, is sugar and wheat. I know their effect on my body, how my health was deteriorating because of those. I kept only the butter and even increased my consumption of it after I ditched wheat and sugar. And guess what ? My health is doing MUCH MUCH better. I am not so much talking about fat vs carb here, actually I am not at all. I eat carbs as well, that's not the problem. If you do fine on wheat and sugar, please, eat them as much as you like. I am not here to say that those are bad in the absolute for every one. They happen to fuck me up. And you know, since I removed those items from my diet, I don't even feel like having croissants or baguette. I have "fond" memories of having indulged and enjoyed them, but I will keep it that way: memories.
    I understand that certain foods don't agree with everyone and I believe your experience with wheat/sugar. I was speaking more about the macros than the specific ingredients. It's easy to think of a croissant as a sugary wheat bomb when it's actually primarily a fat bomb, especially with additional chocolate and butter. Was the wheat/sugar the only addictive part if you still enjoy the butter part? That's all.

And I'd say you're definitely in the minority! I can't eat straight butter OR sugar without gagging. Too yucky!
    Last edited by j3nn; 05-27-2013 at 03:04 PM.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I dunno about minority, quite a few people eat butter on its own on the boards here. If it is salted butter, it is really not so different from brie or bacon or avocado in its composition/texture. I take coconut oil or oil as a part of the Shangri-La protocol, and pure fat is not that hard to eat once you get used to it.

Personally, I don't enjoy it, but I don't gag on it either the way I used to do - the smell alone made me want to gag a couple of years back. I still rarely cook with butter.

As for sugar, when I was growing up, it was not unusual to drink tea with a piece of rock or cubed sugar, sucking on sugar, then sipping tea.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I understand that certain foods don't agree with everyone and I believe your experience with wheat/sugar. I was speaking more about the macros than the specific ingredients. It's easy to think of a croissant as a sugary wheat bomb when it's actually primarily a fat bomb, especially with additional chocolate and butter. That's all.

And I'd say you're definitely in the minority! I can't eat straight butter OR sugar without gagging. Too yucky!
    That's the weird thing about my going primal: I can eat fat just like that, like coconut oil or milk as well (I like the heavy thick coconut milk type: I let it cool in the fridge so the sat fat gets more solid and have it with a little vanilla mixed in - reminds of thick yogurt in the consistence). My wife is like you: almost gags immediately ... not sure why people are so different re fat. Sugar alone on the other hand, I could never do even when I was a sugar addict. By the way, what is a fat free croissant ? I have never seen one ...

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I dunno about minority, quite a few people eat butter on its own on the boards here. If it is salted butter, it is really not so different from brie or bacon or avocado in its composition/texture. I take coconut oil or oil as a part of the Shangri-La protocol, and pure fat is not that hard to eat once you get used to it.

Personally, I don't enjoy it, but I don't gag on it either the way I used to do - the smell alone made me want to gag a couple of years back. I still rarely cook with butter.

As for sugar, when I was growing up, it was not unusual to drink tea with a piece of rock or cubed sugar, sucking on sugar, then sipping tea.
    The way people eat on this site is a minority in the world. I wasn't speaking just of this site though. That would be too biased of a comparison. I'd say the majority on this site probably enjoy plain butter or bacon fat. Kind of like saying on a vegan site that most people like kale. Sure, on that site maybe.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    That's the weird thing about my going primal: I can eat fat just like that, like coconut oil or milk as well (I like the heavy thick coconut milk type: I let it cool in the fridge so the sat fat gets more solid and have it with a little vanilla mixed in - reminds of thick yogurt in the consistence). My wife is like you: almost gags immediately ... not sure why people are so different re fat. Sugar alone on the other hand, I could never do even when I was a sugar addict. By the way, what is a fat free croissant ? I have never seen one ...
    I think fat can be addictive. It's very easy to eat lots of it, enhances the heck out of almost everything, and it can be delicious on its own. Coconut butter, butter, meat drippings, egg yolks, heavy whipping cream, macadamia nuts, mayo, bacon, raw milk and cheese, Green & Blacks 85% dark chocolate -- easy to pack that stuff away.

I don't think a fat-free croissant is possible! Sounds gross. haha
    Last edited by j3nn; 05-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast