Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why would we 'cheat' when primal/paleo IS health? page 5

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    @j3nn

Because a croissant without butter is not a croissant!! I mean, did you ever taste a croissant from a local French baker ? Here in DK, they produce some "blasphemous" crap that calls itself a croissant: with margarine!! aaaarg!

Seriously, when I ditched wheat and sugar and replaced with more butter, I dropped my visceral fat ... YMMV

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    fat free croissants are disgusting
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    When you're shooting for 100%, cheating is dairy, sugars like honey/molasses and fruit. I may, once a year, have some pizza or something, but it's becoming an increasingly rare thing these days. Three years in, just keep feeling younger and better, so I have no reason to poison myself to be honest, except when family makes meals.
    In my world dairy, honey and fruit are all primal and I eat dairy and fruit daily (not the honey though, it's mostly too sweet for me now but I would use it occasionally).

PS But I wouldn't have a clue what molasses is (are?).

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    molasses is similar to dark (black) treacle
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal is a lazy man's Paleo. Strict for me is animal products (excluding dairy), greens/low-starch veggies and related, strong herbs and spices, and berries, some fruit and nuts but not too much of either of those. Chocolate in any amount, at any frequency, soy free and dark preferred. I feel, look, and act best an an almost pure meat (and coconut products and avocados!)! regimen. Steak and eggs has been awesome for me. Skin amazingly clear! I AM eating a bit of chocolate, though.

When I just follow Primal, I do great, feel fine etc., but the dairy gives me zits and red, itchy spots and too much fruit and honey, etc., keep me hungry. I also tend to put on around three or four pounds or water weight that stay there. That, and I can't do starch.

Primal has the unfortunate capacity to be fitted very differently to different people, leading to many incarnations. Mine is low starch, high fat, high protein, and occasional sugar bombs of fruit or dark chocolate. And that works for this body right now. Take or leave it, modify it as you need.

But I do faithfully avoid the devils like pasteurized dairy, vegetable oils, wheat, etc. That made the biggest difference. My cheating would never include those, since they outright and almost immediately cause physical pain that can last for many days. Why shoot myself in the foot? But the occasional block of grass-fed or raw cheese makes a fine cheat!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    fat free croissants are disgusting
    mmmm, I guess so but more than that, how can a fat-free croissant even be made ??? The whole point of a croissant is the multiple layering of dough and fat. Some special butter is even used for that by French bakers because if you try it at home, you will not be able to do it right all the time with random butter. My success rate did not go over 50% even after many attempts following recipes to a T, but when I succeeded ... oh yeah! pure orgie! When I failed, don't think I was trashing everything ... no no, I was transforming the dough + butter into a croissant bread, with a nice coating of egg yolk + milk + sugar that would give it a nice color and flavor I would then eat a big slice of that bread thing with like 1/2 inch of Nutella ... yeah, those were the days ... Today, I make my own chocolate spread and wheat-free bread thingy (like once every 3 months maybe, not even ...). Funny how these kind of cravings vanished ... last time I made some chocolate spread, it lasted for ages, i would simply forget it for days, and that is truly something!
    Last edited by dkJames; 05-27-2013 at 06:28 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Anecdotal evidence suggests that it is supposed to stimulate fat loss
    At times, it is good to stop being paranoid about sugar or soy sauce etc when you are social
    Prohibitive mindset leads stress and negative thoughts
    To simply reaffirm that former favorites taste like crap
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post

One of my wheat addiction was real genuine French croissants which I would slice into 2, spread a thick layer of grass-fed butter from Normandie (as in there wasn't enough butter in the croissant itself!! ) and add some Cailler milk chocolate in-between ... a croissant sandwich that usually went straight to my belly fat ... damned wheat and sugar!!!
    Why are wheat and sugar to blame? Lol. That sandwich sounds about 70% fat! Try eating the fat-free version of that sandwich to see how addictive the wheat and sugar actually are
    My occasional splurge is a chocolate croissant from a French bakery and it triggers no cravings. It's a lot different from the old "eat a baked good, eat 20 baked goods" way things used to be. They are not very sweet (save for the dark chocolate) and taste like butter flakes.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Lol at blaming the fat inside of bread for what bread does. You know I used to sit and eat a whole loaf of wonderbread at a time? Plain, white bread. And I stayed hungry, hungrier than before I opened the loaf up.
    I get what you say...for me it was home baked breads of any kind, or anything with wheat.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We have a road in a town near where I grew up. It has 6 lanes. There are no schools, day cares, etc on it. There are some businesses but it has wide and easily usable turn lanes. It is a road seemingly built for quick travel. The speed limit is 25. As such, it is one of the safest roads in FL. In high school a police officer asked me "Given how few accidents are on <blank> parkway why is the speed limit not 25 on every road?" I had no clue. His response, "Because sometimes I don't want to take an hour to get somewhere."

We balance traffic safety with convenience. People jump out of perfectly good airplanes. People bungie jump. People do all kinds of things that when push-comes-to-shove are not healthy. Food is the same way. Sometimes life is not about health; it is about living.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast