Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why would we 'cheat' when primal/paleo IS health? page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Chocolate covered bacon...

I see the pull of certain non-primal foods, like those made from wheat flour, as addictions. The chemical effect of consuming wheat makes those who are addicted to it feel really good. People continue to maintain and feed their addictions, to regularly eat small quantities of it without even realizing that is what they are doing.

Even people with celiac and/or other serious gluten symptoms may have trouble giving it up. For many of them, the road to recovery of health is slow and the connection between eating no gluten and feeling good is not immediate. The gluten-free bread substitutes, many of which taste so horrible and also make you feel bad, are like low-nutrient junk food. They may look like, smell like, feel like, and taste like the foods people are addicted to, but can never be satisfying no matter how good they taste, because they don't have the critical component of gluten in them.

It's like a pregnant woman who smokes but has been ordered by her doctor to quit. She chafes at this. Instead, she cuts down to one cigarette a day. Of course after the baby is born, bam. Back to a pack a day.

I gave it up cold turkey, but giving it up basically made me feel better within a day or two, so much better a little carb flu was nothing.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-26-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Anthony primal foods are tasty and satisfying. I don't feel they are at all restrictive. I'm currently doing autoimmune paleo, now that is restrictive!

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I don't count them as "cheats", but, once in a while, I'll eat a spelt-flour carrot-cake, or some chips. They're not something I HAVE to do (unlike some diets where a cheat or two is a requirement "to help you control yourself"). I can go for a month or so without having any alcohol, chips or grain (could probably do it with caffeine too, if I weren't so British). But sometimes I feel like a cider, or some chips, or some cake, or some rice, or something made with oats. If the urge is just mild, I'll wait it out, or just eat something healthy to keep my stomach happy. But if I really feel the craving, I'll indulge it. I may want chips on a Monday and wait until next Tuesday before I actually get any, though. My cravings work oddly. Then again, if you crave non-Primal foods every day, then this approach may not be suitable.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Example of "cheats" the past month [with explanations]:
    11th: some pre-made curry sauce in my food. [Fiance made me some food.]
    13th: some pre-made curry sauce in my food. [Fiance left it here; can't waste food.]
    14th & 15th: more caffeine than planned (restricting to around 200mg/day). [Writing essays and doing exams.]
    21st: some vegetable ghee and pre-made curry sauce consumed. [At my Dad's house.]
    25th & 26th: some chips and veg-oil consumed. [Tried the 69oz grill challenge. Took leftovers home for today.]
    So, about 400g of pre-made sauce, 100mg excess caffeine, 2 teaspoons of ghee and 500g of chips. And I didn't really feel the "need" to cheat for any apart from the chips on the 25th and the caffeine on the 14th and 15th. So maybe it just works for me because my "cheating" is infrequent, hardly consequential and not really needed.

Remember, we're not pretending to be like those extreme raw-vegans: you don't need to be 100% Primal for it to work. Approximate diet = approximate results. You get the idea.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Meh. I've only been doing this 2 weeks, but I realize life happens. Most place to eat out will have SAD components in their cooking, even in "healthy" menus. I know that when my wife and I go out for our anniversary in a couple of weeks, we are going to Texas roadhouse, and I know I WILL have a couple of rolls with their honey butter. I may or may not have a soda...we'll see. Since we are going on a overnight trip, we may be having a couple of meals on the road. Steak and eggs for breakfast, perhaps, that's primal enough. Skip the toast.
    Maybe even a mcdonalds $1 hamburger while on the road. With bun. I'll live.

Aili is offline Senior Member

Eating non-paleo / non-primal once in a while is what we do, NOT cheating!

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I don't get the "cheating" talk either. Not only is primal food the healthiest, it also tastes the best.

Personally, if I'm going to eat something not primal then it should be absolutely delicious - loveingly homebaked peanut cookie for example. And then it's not "cheating" but simply the non-primal portion of my overall "diet" in the sense of way of eating.

Even if I'm in a situation where I'm certain that what is being served is non primal (restaurant or takeaways for example) I can choose either to fast or to eat it and call it part of my 20%. Either way, it's not "cheating". I don't really think there's any such thing.
    Annieh, what you say here rings true for me

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    What's your definition of cheating?
    I guess it means, for most people, choosing to eat something that is not primal/paleo, e.g. like a piece of birthday cake. For me, it means nothing because I shy away from those types of choices, having no craving or pressure.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    This can be a long journey back to health for some of us. I was raised by two emotional binge eaters. I never saw my Dad under 300 lbs or Mom under 250. I've been a member here for 2.5 years and have only lost half the weight I need to. Why? I walked into these forums with a binge eating disorder and I still have it. In my world binges happen. Is it cheating? No. I just haven't yet found the right combination of Primal eating to heal 40 years of damage.

BUT, I am healthier, 65 lbs thinner and grateful to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Example of "cheats" the past month [with explanations]:
    11th: some pre-made curry sauce in my food. [Fiance made me some food.]
    13th: some pre-made curry sauce in my food. [Fiance left it here; can't waste food.]
    14th & 15th: more caffeine than planned (restricting to around 200mg/day). [Writing essays and doing exams.]
    21st: some vegetable ghee and pre-made curry sauce consumed. [At my Dad's house.]
    25th & 26th: some chips and veg-oil consumed. [Tried the 69oz grill challenge. Took leftovers home for today.]
    So, about 400g of pre-made sauce, 100mg excess caffeine, 2 teaspoons of ghee and 500g of chips. And I didn't really feel the "need" to cheat for any apart from the chips on the 25th and the caffeine on the 14th and 15th. So maybe it just works for me because my "cheating" is infrequent, hardly consequential and not really needed.

Remember, we're not pretending to be like those extreme raw-vegans: you don't need to be 100% Primal for it to work. Approximate diet = approximate results. You get the idea.
    totally agree that we don't need to be 100% ANYTHING. E.G. I have waaaay more caffeine than you and do not feel I am 'cheating' in any way.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    This can be a long journey back to health for some of us. I was raised by two emotional binge eaters. I never saw my Dad under 300 lbs or Mom under 250. I've been a member here for 2.5 years and have only lost half the weight I need to. Why? I walked into these forums with a binge eating disorder and I still have it. In my world binges happen. Is it cheating? No. I just haven't yet found the right combination of Primal eating to heal 40 years of damage.

BUT, I am healthier, 65 lbs thinner and grateful to be alive.
    Hey Pebbles...I know what you mean about a long journey. I used to be a binge eater but not having wheat has changed my cravings to 0. I have discovered that dairy is also an issue so I have been dairy free for about 1 week now. I was raised in a family where food was central and not a healthy view either.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast