Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coniferous resin proved effective in healing wounds and fighting fungi page

Mangrove is offline Junior Member

Coniferous resin proved effective in healing wounds and fighting fungi

Shop Now
    Coniferous resin salve, ancient and effective treatment for chronic wounds: laboratory and clinical studies
    In the agar diffusion tests, an antifungal effect of the resin salves was observed against all dermatophytes tested, particularly against the fungi of the Trichophyton species.
    All pressure ulcers in all compliant patients (per protocol analysis) in the resin group healed except for one ulcer in one patient (94% (95%CI 84-100%)) whereas less than half (36% (8-65%)) of the ulcers healed in the control group.
    The other clinical trial was an observational and prospective study on efficacy and feasibility of the resin salve treatment in chronic (complicated) surgical wounds in a cohort of 23 patients. In all 23 patients, the wound healed in 4324 days on average without any draw-backs
    They used modern Hydrofiber dressings as a control. The price of resin dressing was between 1/3 and 1/7 of the price of the Hydrofiber dressings, depending the suppliers. The resin group also had less side-effects than the control group.

The use of resin collected from a Norway spruce has been known for centuries in the traditional Finnish medicine. Resin salve can be also obtained from most Finnish pharmacies.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Do you know what else was in the salve? I imagine the resin would first need to be diluted in some sort of alcohol before it's made into a salve. I make propolis (which bees make from resin) tincture and first it needs to be diluted in 190 proof grape alcohol. I haven't made the tincture into a salve but I do mix it with raw honey and I use this to treat wounds, we also take it internally when we feel a cold coming on.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    resin boiled with salt free butter,ratio 1:3, then filtered, cooled and packed in sterile containers in the randomised trial
    the controlled trial used a professionally prepared version using ethanol. section 3.1 in the paper
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-25-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

You can disregard my post as I just looked it up and found out that the resin is warmed and mixed with beeswax and then a carrier oil is added to achieve a workable consistency. I like this idea very much because the bees already mix the propolis with beeswax so it makes my work much easier. Normally I separate the beeswax from the propolis when making a tincture. Now I can just scrape the propolis out of the hives and warm it with a carrier oil (I'd most likely use coconut oil).

The commercial products contain usually 10 or 20 % resin. The rest is paraffin, alcohol, waxes, oils etc.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    You can disregard my post as I just looked it up and found out that the resin is warmed and mixed with beeswax and then a carrier oil is added to achieve a workable consistency. I like this idea very much because the bees already mix the propolis with beeswax so it makes my work much easier. Normally I separate the beeswax from the propolis when making a tincture. Now I can just scrape the propolis out of the hives and warm it with a carrier oil (I'd most likely use coconut oil).
    Where can I find more and reliable information on this process? This sounds like something I'd like to know.

M.

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    I'm in America, not Finland; where could I get this type of product to try it for myself?

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafhyne View Post
    I use this to treat wounds, we also take it internally when we feel a cold coming on.
    Do you make your own, or did you mean to link to a commercially available product?

Quote Originally Posted by secret agent girl View Post
    I'm in America, not Finland; where could I get this type of product to try it for myself?
    I believe you can still order such products from Finland. I would also investigate the possibility of obtaining the raw materials from the States.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Where can I find more and reliable information on this process? This sounds like something I'd like to know.

M.
    Sorry about not responding to your question, I got sidetracked and haven't checked this thread in a while. At the time I had found a recipe, but now I can't seem to find the same one. But here is one that looks similar:

The Forest in Winter: Conifer Resins for Healing and Pleasure The Mountain Rose Blog
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast