Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the energy??? page

Where's the energy???

Primal Fuel
    I've been eating primally for about 7 months. I've lost almost 40 pounds--which is fabulous--but every week when I read the success stories and hear how everyone has this tremendous energy I get frustrated. I don't exercise much, could that be the problem? And I don't get as much sleep as I should. I have 6 kids so I'm not sedentary by any means, and they're also the reason I don't get to sleep like I should. I don't have the same afternoon crash I used to have and the other night I actually managed to sit through my kids' back to back band concerts without falling asleep after getting only 4 hours of sleep the night before, so I suppose that's progress!

Which parts of the Primal way of life besides the eating have you found to boost your energy? I feel like a slug, a thinner slug than before, but still a slug.
    Last edited by Ann of the Jungle; 05-25-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, if you're not sleeping enough it's unlikely you'll have tons of energy. Once you get that under your own control you'll likely see a surge.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    And I don't get as much sleep as I should.
    Bingo.

I'm amazed at how many people don't make sleep a priority for themselves -- or their kids, for that matter.

First fix all the other areas of your primal lifestyle that are lacking, THEN come back and ask about lack of energy
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    tiredness is sometimes about stress. Do you make time for yourself and do pleasurable things? Energy is an equation much more complex than just healthy food and enough sleep.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Shotglass is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    .....Energy is an equation much more complex than just healthy food and enough sleep.
    It's a very complex equation, and part of it is movement (exercise). Someone who is sedentary will probably have a slower metabolism and therefore feel as though they have less energy than someone who exercises regularly. A lack of sleep will only compound that issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

fifer is online now Senior Member
    What time do you go to bed? What time do you finish working (I mean in the house, looking after the kids)?

FoodLoveJoy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    tiredness is sometimes about stress. Do you make time for yourself and do pleasurable things? Energy is an equation much more complex than just healthy food and enough sleep.
    Great advice! It's definitely not going to be solely related to what you're eating or how much you're sleeping. If you're neglecting yourself and not having any fun doing what you're doing, it's pretty likely that your body isn't going to respond with much enthusiasm as you continue. I suggest starting out by just giving yourself 10 minutes today to do something that really feels good to you. It can be anything, so long as you know you're going to enjoy that time.

What We Eat (or don't) + What We Do (or don't) = How We Feel
    I want to inspire as many people as I can to cook more and step into a fun and easy relationship with food.

My blog: www.foodlovejoy.com

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Six kids? I got tired just thinking about having that many children in my home. My hat is off to you for not being a total somnambulant.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    It seems you have provided the answer to your question.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    6 kids, exercise may not a top priority for you at this point in time.

4 hours of sleep per night, if that is the norm...no amount of eating anything can make up for quality and adequate sleep. Try to get 6-7 quality hours of sleep, you may have to sacrifice something in order to squeeze that extra hour or 2 somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast