Thread: A variety of newbie questions!! page

Naomi is offline Junior Member

A variety of newbie questions!!

Shop Now
    Hi all

I'm relatively new to all this and have a variety of different questions, so thought it might be best to post in this forum rather than a load of different ones separately. i've been reading about paleo for months, and have started taking tentative steps to change to paleo. Am having to break myself in gradually though, I just love bready things and find it impossible to go cold turkey!! My questions are:

1. How is it that people don't have heart attacks from all the saturated fat intake?!
    2. I was looking on the internet for paleo baking recipes and a lot of them include maple syrup, surely that isn't paleo though?
    3. I keep seeing and hearing about ketosis, what is this? Is it something I should be doing?
    4. At the moment the changes I have made so far, are giving up my morning orange juice, and having either 1 or 2 of my meals as paleo friendly. I intend to be fully paleo shortly. The last couple of days however I have felt quite fuzzy headed like I can't concentrate, and I struggled in my exercise session this morning and 2 days ago. Will this eventually pass?
    5. Now for a bit of a vain question i'm afraid - Previously I always thought I had a healthy diet - lots of wholegrains, fruit etc and having looked more and more into the primal stuff I've come to realise that the carb heavy brekkie, carby mid morning snack, lunchtime sandwiches and rice/pasta based dinners are quite possibly what is contributing to my flabby tummy which just will not shift. However I'm not actually overweight, more skinny fat. i do lift weights regularly but don't want to lose weight, rather, just change my body composition. Will paleo help me do that?
    6. In addition, I have never ever in my life had bright eyes (i mean the whites of them, i don't have dark circles under them). I wonder if that also has something to do with excess sugar / processed food consumption? I would just love to have sparkly eyes but I never feel I look particularly healthy, despite good fitness and I don't really eat junk, altho I realise that my carb addiction could be classed as junk...
    7. I'm trying to convert my boyfriend as well who has shown an interest in it all as he wants to optimise his health, however he's been trying to build up and as a hardgainer finds it extremely difficult. Will he still be able to do this on paleo?
    8. And finally - is there a difference between primal and paleo or are they the same thing?

Thank you everyone, and apologies If I am repeating common questions.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
    Hi all

I'm relatively new to all this and have a variety of different questions, so thought it might be best to post in this forum rather than a load of different ones separately. i've been reading about paleo for months, and have started taking tentative steps to change to paleo. Am having to break myself in gradually though, I just love bready things and find it impossible to go cold turkey!! My questions are:

1. How is it that people don't have heart attacks from all the saturated fat intake?!
    2. I was looking on the internet for paleo baking recipes and a lot of them include maple syrup, surely that isn't paleo though?
    3. I keep seeing and hearing about ketosis, what is this? Is it something I should be doing?
    4. At the moment the changes I have made so far, are giving up my morning orange juice, and having either 1 or 2 of my meals as paleo friendly. I intend to be fully paleo shortly. The last couple of days however I have felt quite fuzzy headed like I can't concentrate, and I struggled in my exercise session this morning and 2 days ago. Will this eventually pass?
    5. Now for a bit of a vain question i'm afraid - Previously I always thought I had a healthy diet - lots of wholegrains, fruit etc and having looked more and more into the primal stuff I've come to realise that the carb heavy brekkie, carby mid morning snack, lunchtime sandwiches and rice/pasta based dinners are quite possibly what is contributing to my flabby tummy which just will not shift. However I'm not actually overweight, more skinny fat. i do lift weights regularly but don't want to lose weight, rather, just change my body composition. Will paleo help me do that?
    6. In addition, I have never ever in my life had bright eyes (i mean the whites of them, i don't have dark circles under them). I wonder if that also has something to do with excess sugar / processed food consumption? I would just love to have sparkly eyes but I never feel I look particularly healthy, despite good fitness and I don't really eat junk, altho I realise that my carb addiction could be classed as junk...
    7. I'm trying to convert my boyfriend as well who has shown an interest in it all as he wants to optimise his health, however he's been trying to build up and as a hardgainer finds it extremely difficult. Will he still be able to do this on paleo?
    8. And finally - is there a difference between primal and paleo or are they the same thing?

Thank you everyone, and apologies If I am repeating common questions.

1. You said that you have been reading about paleo for months - surely you've read many times its a myth that sat/fat causes heart attacks. If you want a heart attack eat high sugar/carbs, eat processed food from the supermarket and takeaways etc, consume plenty of omega6 oils ( eg vegetable oils) and transfats (eg margarine), stress a lot, don't walk or exercise and just sit around a lot, minimize your sleep and rest, take antibiotics and other medicines for the ills from an unhealthy lifestyle, follow the common nutritional/health tips from doctors and nutritionists, watch a lot of tv and eat/drink what they advertise - that should be a good start.
    2. Not in my opinion.
    3. Heaps of into on the net - first just eat right and walk : simple stuff first.
    4. Sounds like 'low carb flu' - you'll get over it when your body learns to burn fat for fuel.
    5. Yes, will loose some fat and build some muscle.
    6. Possibly, everyone has some 'surprise improvements'
    7. Yes, he'll have to first eat to find his 'maintenance weight calorie intake', then when found ( after say a month) increase it by about 10% ( eat paleo/primal foods) have to eat more and lift weights to put on muscle weight.
    8. Again this should have been covered in your reading. Primal covers more than food - its lifestyle/exercise included. Primal food includes some dairy ( mature cheeses and pure/nature yogurt if you can tolerate it). Read MDA website eg Primal Blueprint 101, subscribe to the free emailed newsletter.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Hi Naomi, welcome to the forum, some good questions, they've been well answered above, so good luck with it!

With regards to the 'low carb flu', I've found you will get this more when you excersise, as you said, but I've used natural carbs such as bananas, dates, or potato and still had good results in weight loss. I find them to be satisfying and I only eat the amounts that I need, but when physically active I have no qualms about eating them. My results have been good so far (6 months in)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    1. We believe in Jesus.
    2. You have to suck it from a maple tree with your own mouth.
    3. Ketosis is a band that some people are into. Others are trying to get into them but it's difficult because their music isn't for everyone.
    4. There's a general fuzzyheadedness to people who drastically cut carbs. It doesn't really go away, but the feeling of self-righteousness eventually overpowers the feeling that one isn't as sharp as one used to be.
    5. No, you need to exercise. Walking is nice.
    6. No one on this forum is qualified to answer that question.
    7. Yes but he will need to consume some evil, evil, dirty, dirty, wicked, evil EVIL carbs.
    8. A paleo practitioner is like someone who can build and program PCs. A primal practitioner is like someone who works at an Apple store.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    to #7, my husband is a "hardgainer" and paleo who also does intermittent fasting.

he makes sure to have sweet potatoes on his work out days. He'll need more calories than you (Dh eats at least 1000 calories more than me).

to the rest of it, read the book, read the forum, etc.