Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Effortless weight loss? page

Seashel087 is offline Member

Effortless weight loss?

Primal Fuel
    There is so much nutrition information out there it is so easy to get confused! One person says a particular food is bad for you, another person says its perfectly ok, healthy even. One person swears by a certain diet...another person swears by a diet that is completely opposite! So how do I explain this.

I went primal for a time last summer. I did not cut calories, nor was I necessarily trying to lose weight. Breakfast was typically eggs and a piece of fruit, lunch a salad with veggies, nuts, and chicken and dinner was more meat and veggies. I'm 5'4 and my weight had always been a steady 120 pounds, but in those weeks of eating primal my weight dropped to 114 pounds effortlessly. I was very happy with the results. I lift weights regularly and just dropping those 6 pounds made a difference in how toned I looked. I had never been able to lose those last final pounds if you will by restricting calories alone, but when I cut the grains (and thus a lot of the carbs), the fat loss happened just like that.

And yet everyone says weight loss is all about calories and carbs don't matter. Then how do you explain my results? Has anyone had a similiar experience where they cut the carbs (a lot of your grains), and the weight loss happened effortlessly whereas you struggled before even when you kept your calories low?

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Just my two cents: a lot of people see instantaneous dips in the scale when first going primal because reduced carbs yield a release of water weight. Maybe not true in every case, but oftentimes that first rapid, large chunk of weightloss is water, not fat.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    We are all different and there are more than 1 way to health but for me cutting grain based carbs has been the big leap forward. They are so calorie dense but don't keep me from feeling hungry whereas eating primal is get full guicker and stay full longer yet am nowhere near the calories I ate before. I was counting calories at first but now am not bothering unless its something new or off-primal

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seashel087 View Post
    but when I cut the grains (and thus a lot of the carbs), the fat loss happened just like that.

And yet everyone says weight loss is all about calories and carbs don't matter. Then how do you explain my results?
    You're forgetting about grains causing bloat and water weight/retention.

The "effortless" for most people starts when they take grains out of the picture. Water weight is shed quickly and therefore they're more motivated to continue, they don't crave as much -- I know I personally, can double the amount I usually eat if I start with something bready first -- and therefore will "effortlessly" be eating less, and lose the weight.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    LOL, go eat a sandwich. Watch how fast you regain 6 lbs.

The first effortless loss is probably water. Then you get into fat shedding, which seems to go differently for everyone. There are a lot of reasons to cut the empty calories of grains, and over time, that will likely support fat loss. But it's not effortless for everyone to drop 6 lbs of fat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Even so, the water loss makes a difference. And it doesn't take a lot of whiteknuckling through starvation and hypoglycemia.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Owen is offline Senior Member
    The short answer is that some sources of calories cause more fat gain than others.

1) Glucose from sugars and refined grains are immediately stored as fat by the body. The more complex carbs, or proteins, are not.

2) Refined carbs don't satiate the appetite so you will end up eating more food generally and are therefore likely to consume more calories over time. This might not happen if you are strictly counting calories, but in reality, few people sucessfully do this anyway because the refined foods make them hungry.

3) If you are lifting weights, the calories contained in protein will be used in building muscle mass and therefore cannot be used to accumulate fat.

FoodLoveJoy is offline Junior Member
    My 2 cents:

Focus more on eating foods that make your body feel good an hour two after having eaten them. When you keep your focus on eating things that keep you feeling good, your body should naturally start to gravitate toward a weight that's good for your frame.

Giving all the power to what your scale says makes it a lot harder to get to where you want to be. If you're eating in a way that makes you feel great all the time, does it really matter what the number is?

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seashel087 View Post
    There is so much nutrition information out there it is so easy to get confused! One person says a particular food is bad for you, another person says its perfectly ok, healthy even. One person swears by a certain diet...another person swears by a diet that is completely opposite! So how do I explain this.

I went primal for a time last summer. I did not cut calories, nor was I necessarily trying to lose weight. Breakfast was typically eggs and a piece of fruit, lunch a salad with veggies, nuts, and chicken and dinner was more meat and veggies. I'm 5'4 and my weight had always been a steady 120 pounds, but in those weeks of eating primal my weight dropped to 114 pounds effortlessly. I was very happy with the results. I lift weights regularly and just dropping those 6 pounds made a difference in how toned I looked. I had never been able to lose those last final pounds if you will by restricting calories alone, but when I cut the grains (and thus a lot of the carbs), the fat loss happened just like that.

And yet everyone says weight loss is all about calories and carbs don't matter. Then how do you explain my results? Has anyone had a similiar experience where they cut the carbs (a lot of your grains), and the weight loss happened effortlessly whereas you struggled before even when you kept your calories low?
    Do you counts carbs? How many carbs a day do you eat approximately?

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    FoodLoveJoy cannabutter makes People feel good for several hours; maybe we should all live on that
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast