Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Effortless weight loss? page 2

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Seashel087 View Post
    And yet everyone says weight loss is all about calories and carbs don't matter. Then how do you explain my results? Has anyone had a similiar experience where they cut the carbs (a lot of your grains), and the weight loss happened effortlessly whereas you struggled before even when you kept your calories low?
    Yeah, conventional wisdom is just wrong.

I had a maintenance level of 2200. I went down as low as 1300 on a "healthy diet" and couldn't lose any fat, just energy crash and hunger. I went down to 1800 calories on 100% strict paleo and dropped from 30% to 20% body fat in 6 weeks, was never hungry, easiest thing in the world. I track everything exactly to the gram.

People need to fix their CICO formula, cause it ain't working.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I gained a lot of weight on a medically prescribed carbohydrate diet- over 100lbs- and yes i know i was stupid listening to them. Ive lost a lot of weight since i started primal ,see below. I keep my carbs between 30 and 80 but i watch the calories too. Virtually all my carbs come from vegetables with a few from lower sugar fruits. I don't eat processed carbs at all. Keeping a check on the pair of culprits has worked really well for me.
    If you eat enough of anything you will gain weight and if your intake is less than your energy expenditure you will lose. There are many ways to lose weight. The difference with this way of eating seems to be satiety before vast calories are consumed whereas with a carb based diet its very easy to consume a lot of calories quickly but never get full so get hungry quicker
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

vincebae is offline Member
    And yet everyone says weight loss is all about calories and carbs don't matter. Then how do you explain my results? Has anyone had a similiar experience where they cut the carbs (a lot of your grains), and the weight loss happened effortlessly whereas you struggled before even when you kept your calories low?
    I recommend you to read Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories" or "Why we get fat"

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    The short answer is that some sources of calories cause more fat gain than others.

1) Glucose from sugars and refined grains are immediately stored as fat by the body. The more complex carbs, or proteins, are not.

2) Refined carbs don't satiate the appetite so you will end up eating more food generally and are therefore likely to consume more calories over time. This might not happen if you are strictly counting calories, but in reality, few people sucessfully do this anyway because the refined foods make them hungry.

3) If you are lifting weights, the calories contained in protein will be used in building muscle mass and therefore cannot be used to accumulate fat.
    This makes so much sense to me.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I lost weight and fat on an extremely high carb diet but I was miserable the whole time and I knew it wasn't sustainable in the long term. That is what lead me to find primal/paleo eating. After I had lost all that weight no way was I going to slip. I had to find something that would allow me to maintain it. Primal was the key to keeping it off, if not getting it off.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad this worked so well for you, but it's not this easy for everyone. For every post like this, there are 10 wondering why they've lost no weight in weeks...
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    This makes so much sense to me.
    Yes the explanation is simple and makes sense - this is how it seems to work for me.

Processed crap = hunger and fat weight gain (stopped that rubbish a long time ago).

When lifting weights and eating primal only I leaned out and now can only put on very little weight even though my I have intentionally increased calories by up to 25% to increase muscle - small/slow weight increase is mostly muscle (hard work though ) .

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I'm glad this worked so well for you, but it's not this easy for everyone. For every post like this, there are 10 wondering why they've lost no weight in weeks...
    I suspect far more people find success and have no need to post asking for help than is apparent from comparing post numbers.

Seashel087 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    You're forgetting about grains causing bloat and water weight/retention.

The "effortless" for most people starts when they take grains out of the picture. Water weight is shed quickly and therefore they're more motivated to continue, they don't crave as much -- I know I personally, can double the amount I usually eat if I start with something bready first -- and therefore will "effortlessly" be eating less, and lose the weight.
    Yeah I think when you first cut out processed foods the first thing you probably shed is water weight. I've noticed when I pig out on junk food (typically carby things) the scale will go up as much as 3 pounds the next day! I know its not fat, because when I go back to eating primal the scale will go down by as much as a pound a day throughout the week until I'm back to my starting weight. Its not likely I'm gaining 3 pounds of fat in one day (hopefully not lol) and then losing a pound of fat everyday.

When I lost the 6 pounds though it was definately more than just water weight. My clothes were loser and my body fat went down.

I agree about not craving as much too when eating primal food and that definately helps! Maybe its all the protein, but the meals just seem more satisfying and filling then high carbohydrate ones.

I was eating around 80g of carbs a day when I was losing weight.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    No, weight loss has never been effortless for me, regardless of the quality of food, macros or exercise program. It is always about calorie counting and tricking hunger. Effortless weight loss is a miracle that happens to other people.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-27-2013 at 06:21 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast