Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiddleheads should be farmed. High in Omega 3 page

Vick is offline Senior Member

Fiddleheads should be farmed. High in Omega 3

Primal Fuel
    Research scientists in Nova Scotia say fiddleheads should be cultivated commercially because of their high nutritional value.

The ferns grow in the wild along wet riverbanks and streams in the spring, and are considered a delicacy in New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario.

John DeLong, with the Agriculture Canada Research Station in Kentville, said scientists are just discovering how nutritional fiddleheads are even better than blueberries, the gold standard for antioxidants.

"When we tested the activity, we found that they were twice as strong as blueberries with regard to this antioxidant activity. We didn't expect that, that was very surprising to us," DeLong said Wednesday.

Antioxidants help neutralize free radicals linked to the development of a number of diseases including cancer, cardiovascular disease and other age-related conditions such as Alzheimer's.

Test results also showed that fiddleheads are packed with another nutrient, omega-3 fatty acids, DeLong said.

"They have a unique fatty acid that plants don't normally have, which is only found in fish," he said.

This nutritional science is laying the groundwork to develop the plant into a possible niche crop that could be farmed

"You can grow them as a cash crop, so I think enterprising farmers out there should think about that. Maybe an acre of fiddleheads could be a viable crop for them," DeLong said.

His colleague, Bob Prang, also a research scientist with Agriculture Canada, said as people recognize the health value of fiddleheads, farming makes more sense because increased demand could put pressure on ferns in the wild.

"The problem with all natural crops is that people just go take what they want and they don't put anything back into it. That is a fear on my part, that some of these stands that will be over picked," Prang said.

But, only ostrich ferns produce edible fiddleheads and proper cleaning and cooking is a must. Fiddleheads are best boiled for about 10 minutes.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...#ixzz0o6TEwrDa

maba is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting. I wonder if we can find the seeds and grow them in the backyard.

We grow ferns in our flower bed. We transplanted them.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I saw them in the grocery store yesterday, and haven't a clue as to how to cook them! Will have to get some next time I see them.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I gotta call bs on the omega 3. That's going to be alpha-linolenic acid unless we have some mutant space plant on our hands.

Do we?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

@Stabby according to this article it is EPA.

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=63104

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Ahaha! I wonder if we'd see the same in a venus fly trap, always eating little bugs and things.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    fiddleheads are awesome. They're in season 'round these parts right now and I recently ate at a restaurant where they served thai coconut fiddlehead soup. It was pretty grand.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member
    Fiddleheads totally rule... they sell them at a farm near me. Blanch, then saute in bacon fat and drizzle with balsamic vinegar for a flavor explosion...

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Hmm this is interesting! I tried them for the first time this year and wasn't a fan, but maybe I should give them another try. Blanched then sauteed in bacon fat sounds great, especially paired with balsamic vinegar!
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast