Page 75 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 degrees warmer page 75

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey Derp, I have a question. I just read this out of a Ray Peat article-

Gelatin and glycine have recently been reported to facilitate the action of insulin in lowering blood sugar and alleviating diabetes. Gelatin has been used successfully to treat diabetes for over 100 years (A. Guerard, Ann Hygiene 36, 5, 1871; H. Brat, Deut. Med. Wochenschrift 28 (No. 2), 21, 1902). Glycine inhibits lipolysis (another antiexcitatory, “antiestrogenic” effect), and this in itself will make insulin more effective, and help to prevent hyperglycemia. (A gelatin-rich diet can also lower the serum triglycerides.) Since persistent lipolysis and insulin resistance, along with a generalized inflammatory state, are involved in a great variety of diseases, especially in the degenerative diseases, it's reasonable to consider using glycine/gelatin for almost any chronic problem. (Chicken foot soup has been used in several cultures for a variety of ailments; chicken foot powder has been advocated as a stimulant for spinal cord regeneration--Harry Robertson's method was stopped by the FDA).

It says that glycine inhibits lipolysis. Does that mean that glycine (gelatin) stops fat loss? I'm confused....

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Nah, the way for fat mass to be lost is through beta-oxidation to co2, if you oxidize more fatty acids than you take in, you lose fat. Lipolysis creates excessive NEFA by design, so it's not responsible for fat loss.
    nihil

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Ok, well... I'm glad you understand it all. Thanks!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    First things I looked to debunk when I started getting into nutritional science was the insulin and lipolysis theories.
    nihil

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Just though I'd mention that I've started my own journal now, having got bloods back today

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread92008.html

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Derp!

What do you think of the ones by Skin Biology? I just won a voucher for their store! Skin Biology Face Care - Skin Biology skin care products
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    The one he uses is a Skin Biology one.

I'm an idiot...!

Check out that link though Di - the full range of Cps are there! Some are better for sensitive skin. I'm not sure which one to go for. My skin is pretty delicate.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    I'm very confused by this whole skin thing. I never thought about it much (except for acne, which I used to have) till recently. I bought the Super GHK serum Skin Biology Super GHK-Copper Intensive Serum - Skin Biology Face Care cuz it's supposed to be mild and good for areas around the eyes. I don't know if it's actually good or if it's not strong enough or what. It is the first generation copper peptides so I guess you can't use it with acids.

I received the roller, btw, but I haven't used it yet. Haven't figured out the vitamin A/vitamin C thing...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'll reply to you over on your journal, so as not to clog up Derp's

Sorry Derp - final CK question: these are the ones that I've been using til now... I can't really find a way to tell if they're any good. What do you think? http://www.activeformulas.com/produc...r-peptides-ghk
    Last edited by YogaBare; 08-06-2013 at 03:40 PM.

- Ray Peat