Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco (Cigars) page 2

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Agree, cigars are totally different from cigarettes. I never have a 'craving' for a cigar but like to enjoy one on the weekends. Oliva is great for the price and to my knowledge 'traditionally' grown from Cuban seed. And yes great with some scotch, whiskey or aged rum! Cigarettes are another story entirely, even the organic American Spirits can get you hooked.
    Last edited by TigerJ; 05-19-2010 at 05:25 AM.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    I will partake a couple of times a year. I have a pretty full humidor of cigars I collected during the late '90's including a pre-Castro Cuban that was given to me.

Shebeeste is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for starting the thread I wanted to start but was afraid of getting lynched. I don't smoke cigars, but I was curious about cigarettes. Yes, yes, yes, CW says tobacco is pure evil. And as mentioned above, tobacco is a neolithic crop, thus so not primal. I certainly don't want to advocate starting smoking (stupidest thing I've ever done), but I do smoke occasionally. [Pause for boos and hisses.] At times for stress (dead close relative-level stress) or recreation or sociability, and likely self-medication for AD/HD and or depression. I am, however, one of the very rare people who is able to quit smoking easily. I told my doctor that I smoke occasionally and I was surprised to learn that she was not at all alarmed.

So I would say I use cigarettes much like folks use cigars. One a day at most. I can go months without smoking. Yeah yeah, "Why don't you just quit?" You know preaching doesn't help reform smokers.

Now, (don't shoot me) we're all about bucking conventional wisdom here, so I'm wondering if the CW about smoking is based on the SAC (Standard American Cigarette). You know, the one that can have up to 700 additives, is cured using sugar, etc. I have smoked American Spirits for years (recently switched to organic, though that might seem silly), and I have found them far less addictive than my former choice, which was Camels (up to a pack a day). I also have a hunch that smoking tobacco that is cured with sugar is far worse for you than pure unadulterated tobacco. Have you ever burnt sugar when making caramel? Imagine that inside your lungs. I sincerely doubt anyone is going to fund a study to find out if natural tobacco is less harmful than a SAC, but I'm curious if anyone has seen any references to this? Yes, I could Google it, but I'm more interested in starting a conversation.

Native Americans used (and still use) tobacco ritually. Until falling prey to the SAD and SAC, did Native folks get lung cancer? How about early tobacco usage by Euro-Americans before Big Tobacco came along with their "4 out of 5 doctors recommend Chesterfields" BS?

Finally, would eating primally protect against the diseases caused or exacerbated by smoking? In other words, does the modern incidence of tobacco-related disease and death go hand-in-hand with the SAD? I certainly don't wish to advocate tobacco as a sensible indulgence, but it is one of my indulgences, sensible or not. But how "not"?

Disclaimers: My good friend's seemingly healthy father died a horrible lingering death of lung cancer. I don't want my friends and family (not to mention me!) go through anything like that. So I'm well aware of the dangers. But, right now I am in excellent health and can ride a bike 150 miles (not fast!).

Greg is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy a nice cigar on the weekends - in the warmer weather when I can sit outside.

The cigs... well that's a different story. I was a smoker for a very long time and still, to this day, I don't have them completely licked. Sometimes I go a few or even several days without any. Some days I have a few. I know it's not primal nor good for my health - just a terrible habit I picked up. On the super rare occasion that I have a few drinks... well, it's like I never put them down. Shame on me.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I've been smoking cigars for probably fifteen years now. Probably average one a day. I've read all the research that I can get my hands on (which isn't much for cigars/pipes) but ill effects don't kick in unless you're smoking massive amounts. Now, there's no denying that you're increasing the chance of oral cancer but it's a risk I"ll live with. Fine hand rolled cigars along with high quality coffee are my two, so called, vices. The benefits I get from quite contemplation with a cigar and coffee I feel out weighs the negatives.

BTW, 99% of my smoking occurs on my deck. The only entity that gets some of my second hand smoke is my dog and he doesn't seem to mind much.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Lit a San Cristobal Maestro as soon as the game ended. Lakers. World Champions again. I may smoke half of three cigars a year, but sometimes they are awesome. So's the tequila and champagne. It's a festive occasion thing only for me. And this is something I celebrate. Woot!

Russ is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy smoking a hookah once in a while . . its low nicotine, tastes good and is relaxing . . . i only do it once every couple months.

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    I wish I still had my hookah. It was way too much work to use by myself, so I got rid of it.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I smoke a few a year... good stuff. Even at 1 a week, i'd just write if off and move on.... no biggie.

Stratispho is offline Junior Member
    My 2 favorites are the Ghurka triple cognac infused cigars that come in the glass tube with the wax. Probably doused in sugar but 1 cigar every few months I'm sure I'll recover from. And my other favorite is a Tabac Dulce coffee infused. Both of those are really smooth with little bite.
    I also have a small collection of tobacco pipes that get used once or twice a year.

In total I smoke 8-10 cigars a year and 10 or so bowls of tobacco from the pipe every year. Not too worried about the side effects from that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast