Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I can't stop... page

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member

Help! I can't stop...

Shop Now
    I'm in college and I've been "primal" for a while. Since January or so. And a month and a half ago I cut out all dairy except for butter. I don't keep track of calories/protein/carbs or anything. For a month or so I was really low carb and was feeling pretty good. I was loosing fat around my stomach and building muscle. It was great. My allergies went away and so did my adhd symptoms.

Then two things happened. My stress level went through the roof when dead week and finals week came around. The other thing that happened was somebody started buying me meals at one of the dining centers here on campus. This dining center usually serves a few meet choices, but they also always serve pizza. And I just love pizza. They also always have this amazing ice cream. And also for every meal they put out these amazing deserts. Full of awesome tasty delicious sugar. Things like cheesecake, cookies, apple pie, and any other completely un primal thing there is. Also during this time I starting eating m&m's all the time. Peanut butter, peanut, strawberry peanut, dark chocolate, regular. I was eating them all the time.

So for basically two weeks I completely stopped following primal. I didn't add the milk back in b/c when i tried it it made my stomach hurt. I had to start taking ritalyn again to make it through finals; I couldn't focus. I couldn't fall asleep. I was drinking coffee b/c i was getting tired during the day. It was not fun. I was having some serious trouble eating correctly because I was always eating at the dining center with all the sugar foods. And I was having serious carb cravings b/c I was eating so many carbs. I couldn't stop.

Then finals were over and I was ok for the last week or so. I've been eating pretty much primally. I decided to try adding more vegetables and fruit in to try to take care of the carb cravings that I'm still having. I feel like crap when I don't eat a lot of carbs; I think its the low carb flu. Well this evening (after about 5 days straight primal eating) i stopped at wallmart and bought 3 more bags of m&m's. Thats right. 3! And they are the huge bags. 2600 calories per pack. I've eaten one already this evening. I still have two more bags.

I don't know how to stop. When i stop eating all the sugar I have intense carb cravings and I can't get satisfied. I keep craving food. So i eat some high fat food. Yesterday I had bacon and eggs. Today I had chicken fried in bacon fat. lots of veggies. I had some serious carb cravings earlier today (before I bought the m&m's) and ate two bananas and an apple, but it didn't do anything. It's not like I'm sitting around all day; I have plenty of errands that I'm running.

I'm not sure what to do. Are there so foods that I can eat that will take care of these cravings. I've considered adding milk back in, except I don't really want to b/c it makes my stomach feel bloated. I'm debating abandoning this whole primal living idea. I can't figure it out. When I'm lower carb I have the low-carb flu, but when I cave I get intense headaches.

Oh yeah, and I can't fall asleep anymore (thats why I'm up still...)

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    -Paul

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    Oh and I forgot one more thing. Next fall I will be eating at that same dining center every day. I'm going to keep the meals to once a day because its cheapest. How in the world am i going to manage to stay primal (if i ever get back on track) next semester when I'm eating at the dining center ever day? Just thinking about the temptation of all those sweets and that pizza is making my mouth water...

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one up at 1 a.m. due to...um, food issues I guess. It really sucks. I do great eating primally for good stretches at a time and I feel better for a while and then... I totally sabotage myself! And once I've crossed over to the dark side of eating it is sooo hard to stop. it's that cycle of eating carbs and sugar that is just like you described. It's totally an addiction. And, yes, for me anyway stress is the major thing that seems to get me wanting to eat carbs. It's that comfort food effect they have, especially wheat products. I read somewhere that they actually have a drug like effect when you eat them and it puts you at ease, atleast until it wears off and you want MORE.

Oh yeah, you want advice? I got nothing, sorry. I will say that the low carb flu thing seems to go away more and more every time I bounce back and forth between low carb and high carb but it took a while...maybe two months of trying to keep my carbs low before I started to notice that it gets better.
    Good luck!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I know it's difficult, but if your dining halls are like Tech's, there's some excuse of a salad bar, some sort of steamed veggie, and some form of plain meat (baked chicken, baked fish, etc.) everyday. It'll be hard as hell to bypass all the crack sugar, but remind yourself then of how you feel now.
    As for the fallback, I did the exact same think over the past week. I know the flu is nasty, but go VLC or ZC (if you medically can) and supposedly it'll be over that much quicker. My technique will be to eat A berry or A thin slice of butter whenever I crave carbs. And to remind myself ofthe hell I've suffered this week.

NorthStar is offline Junior Member
    I'm trapped in off-the-wagon hell, too, so don't feel bad. In between teaching high school and directing the school play, those 16-hour days really did me in. The play has been over for a MONTH and I'm still trying to get my crud together. For me, the best thing is to go slowly -- cut out all artificial sweeteners first, then either wheat or sugar (or both, if you feel brave!), then the rest of the grains. When I jump with both feet, I tend to metaphorically break my ankles :P

I remember what it felt like to want to JUMP out of bed and practically dance through my day. Now I'm dragging.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    Most of what it seems like you're fighting against is yourself. Or at least, in the beginning it was. There's a big reason why the SAD diet became so popular in the first place. Convenience. When people began working outside the home, convenience foods became all the rage. When you're stressed, tired, or busy, those are going to be your weakest moments and the only way to not cave is to be prepared for them.

Please take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, because while I'm moving towards being 100% primal, I'm not quite there yet. I'm not eating refined carbs and sugar, but I don't think I've reached my optimal intake for fats and protein yet. I have attempted to change my way of eating several times before though and this is the same problem that I've run into.

It's incredibly difficult to mesh a busy lifestyle with this way of eating, or any other that requires you to fix your own food, but it can be done.

Assuming that you get back on track:
    -There are many primal snacks that you can have on hand already prepared.
    -You can bring your own lunch to school so that you don't even have to get into line in the cafeteria and pass the pizza. Does your campus have a microwave that it makes available to its students? Regardless of whether someone else is buying your meals...you have two choices - compromise your health and what you believe in to save a few bucks...or make healthier choices. This is where the will power comes in. It doesn't work for everyone, but you may be surprised to find the foods that you are craving will become less and less appealing to you. Pizza is one of my all time favorite foods...I barely ever crave it anymore. Sugary things just taste waaay too sweet for me now. Coke is losing it's appeal.

The thing that I've noticed that is really helping me stay away from these things is, ironically, the times when I cheat. It's pretty amazing how disconnected we become from our bodies, especially when we are stressed. Those times when I break down and eat something I shouldn't, I've started to really tune in to my body. Noticing how crappy it makes me feel really turns me off to whatever it is. There's a psychological term for it, but I can't remember. It's the same conditioning that happens when someone eats something that gives them food poisoning. Forever after that food will be associated with sickness. Ever drink too much Tequila? Yeah, one bad night with Tequila is all most people ever need.

Not much advice to help you get through the cravings other than just hang in there. The carb flu will pass. You put a lot of crap into your body that needs to work it's way out. If you can, maybe give yourself a little mini vacation while you're on break. A long weekend where you do some fasting (and major water drinking) and lots of rest.

Good luck! I hope you don't give up. Just from reading what you wrote, it seems pretty self evident that the primal way of living was working for you. It might be tough getting back on the wagon, but it's totally doable and beyond the fact that you'll feel better physically, you'll also be proud of yourself for your choices!

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Mate, life is full of stressors. You have to learn to not fall to pieces every time the going gets tough. Life always throws you curveballs just when you're least able to handle them.

It's always such a cliche when it happens in the movies, someone hits the booze cos it all gets a bit much. Here in the army we say "get a can of harden up". This is the same deal. You're comfort eating.

Go and research stress coping techniques and APPLY them. Man up and get your junk habit under control. It's one thing to cut yourself a break and include some non-primal foods to make life a bit easier, but pigging out on bags on candy is just stupid.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Consider the "low carb flu" as a side effect of detoxification. Carbs aren't toxins, but still there are withdrawal symptoms, and your task is to endure them for a week or two. They will go away eventually. Of course if you always destroy your efforts by little cheats here and there, you won't get anywhere. Those little cheats cause and prolong your carb cravings.

BTW: If you're so addicted to carbs, it might be a bad idea to try to wean yourself off of them during a particularly stressful time of your life.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    1) take care of your probably vitamin D deficiency:
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/healt...eficient.shtml
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...A0d3BjMw&hl=en

2) eat a least a palm sized portion of protein four time per day (for now....it may be less later on)

3)with a boatload of produce:
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...drZnFmNw&hl=en

4)add dairy back in.....the additional yummy sat fat you'll be able to eat will help with the cravings.
    Digestive enzymes will help with, or completely eliminate, the bloating/discomfort. Avoid milk and other
    high carb dairy - stick with plain Fage or Chobani yogurt (greek yogurt is super high in protein and fat).
    Check cheese for carb content and don't binge on it.
    These are my favorite enzymes: Garden of Life, Ω-Zyme, Digestive Enzyme Blend, 180 Caplets
    iherb:$42.81 msrp:$67.95

5) consider a multi. For about $5 a month, this is a high quality, high potency, broad spectrum, low cost one that i love:
    Natrol, My Favorite Multiple, Take One Multivitamin, Iron Free, 60 Tablets
    iherb.com: $9.51 msrp:$18.49

Throw away the other two bags of m&ms. Seriously. Toss them.

"I'm debating abandoning this whole primal living idea."
    I'm not sure your previous plan was working so well. When you were initially primal, you were feeling great and will again. You're just trying to get past the hump as your body has to relearn how to manage insulin and blood glucose levels.

I can't overstate the importance of
    Vitamin D sufficiency (see above links)
    Zinc sufficiency (take the iron free multi)
    Magnesium sufficiency - http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html
    Produce in very significant amounts (3 servings per meal)
    Best,
    Katheirne

DebFM is offline Senior Member
    What always works for me is supplemental chromium nicotinate (200 - 400 mg) and magnesium (250 mg). I've read that Gynmena sylvestre stops sugar cravings by making the tongue unable to detect sweet, and, hence no satisfaction from whatever treat goes in the mouth.

And don't give up on being primal. Who wants to be a slave to sugar and carbs forever? I'm sure you didn't realize how much of a slave you were to these things before going primal. I know I didn't. Being free from thta is a fantastic thing. You'll get there again and certainly turning to the forum here tells me that is what you really want, too. Good luck & remember, we're here for ya!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast