Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How strong is strong enough page

rockrunner Guest

How strong is strong enough

Primal Fuel
    How strong is strong enough?

There are different body types and a wide spectrum of opinions out there...so what do you say is the minimum amount of strength that should be attained? I have a skinny runner type body so hi strength is way out there for me but there must be a "best bang for the buck" efficiency for training time vs strength.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    That depends on who you are trying to impress.

rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That depends on who you are trying to impress.
    Only the hairy vegan girls so far!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    Only the hairy vegan girls so far!
    Perhaps you are only trying to impress yourself, which means your motivation is intrinsic.

I always see these threads where the guys are talking about everybody needing to blast themselves for 30 or 45 or even 60 minutes multiple times a week. I do low volume and I rest between sets. I get what I need out of it, without risking injury.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Only you can really answer that question. Completely subjective with regards to your goals.

rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Perhaps you are only trying to impress yourself, which means your motivation is intrinsic.
    That sounds right, I have to make myself weight train because its suppose to be good for you but I don't obviously see the benefits...they are kinda hidden. Endurance exercising I see the benefits easily so its hard to swap out one for other to me. I'm just trying to find the right amount of strength training to add in.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You should add in some basic strength building stuff like squats and deadlifts and some explosive stuff like power cleans or whatever. You'll feel a lot more bouncy and fast and the actual effort of running will start to feel easier than it used to. You'll also need to do far less running to be a decent runner. You'll be able to accomplish in 30 minutes a few times a week what it takes you hours to accomplish running all the time.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    That sounds right, I have to make myself weight train because its suppose to be good for you but I don't obviously see the benefits...they are kinda hidden. Endurance exercising I see the benefits easily so its hard to swap out one for other to me. I'm just trying to find the right amount of strength training to add in.
    I guess your an endurance athlete or something then? You could practice HIT 1-2x/week and be all set. Check out Body by Science.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Bodyweight excersises are the best way to acheive strength levels that are proportional to your build. EG the pull-up is a very effective strength excersise. 'Bar' training is getting really popular nowadays

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, I just read on your other thread the things you do. In all frankness I wouldn't worry about hitting the gym for extra strength work (unless you like it.... as I do) in the least if you are rock climbing, paddling, chopping wood... ect. day in and day out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast