Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How strong is strong enough page 3

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    it changes as you adapt... but at the beginning I would suggest a starting strength routine similar to:

3x a week
    about 30-45 minutes a session

Workout A
    Squats 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Bent Over Row 5x5

Workout B
    Squats 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Change it to:

Workout A
    Squats 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Chin/pull-ups 3x5

Workout B
    Squats 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

5x5 three times a week won't work for long. Starting Strength does 3 sets of 5 reps for everything, one set of 5 for deadlifts, and 5 sets of 3 for power cleans.

Deadlifts right after squats are not the best idea.

Also, I have no idea how you can expect to do a workout with 5x5 squats + other lifts in 30-45 minutes. Heck, 30-45 minutes for 5x5 of heavy squats alone is pushing it.

rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    The question is: strong enough for what? For watching TV? You're already strong enough. For doing basic physical activity? Also strong enough. For playing a sport? For working construction? For...? You get the idea.

In my opinion, a good level of strength for a person not involved in strength sports is approximately at or near the point of the intermediate phase of lifting. The novice phase, the one prior to the intermediate phase, is when you can eat, sleep, lift, and make progress every time you do it. When you're still eating, sleeping, and lifting, and you cannot progress every workout, then you're "strong enough" in my mind. This level depends on your gender, age, proportions, genetics, etc.
    I'm probably at that level most of the time...just a bit under the intermediate level that dabears posted above. Hmm... looks like i may have to experiment some...diminishing returns for time spent weigh training...picking and choosing on whats gets the most out of limited time.

dabears is offline Member
    Change it to:

Workout A
    Squats 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Chin/pull-ups 3x5

Workout B
    Squats 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

5x5 three times a week won't work for long. Starting Strength does 3 sets of 5 reps for everything, one set of 5 for deadlifts, and 5 sets of 3 for power cleans.

Deadlifts right after squats are not the best idea.

Also, I have no idea how you can expect to do a workout with 5x5 squats + other lifts in 30-45 minutes. Heck, 30-45 minutes for 5x5 of heavy squats alone is pushing it.
    probably more like 60 minutes you are right, resting 2 minutes in between... longer if you do 3 minutes.

I posted stronglifts you are right, not starting strength. both are effective for beginners imo though

my current strength/hypertrophy mix workout that I made myself:

A:
    Squat 5/6/7/8 (reverse pyramid, start with 5RM topset after warmup and reduce weight by 10% for next set, go up one rep.)
    Romanian Deadlift 3x10
    Standing Calf Raises 3x15

B:
    Bench press 5/6/7/8 (reverse pyramid)
    Incline DB Press 3x6-8
    Pushups - 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15 (get up after each set, touch wall, back down and go for one more rep... try and get 15 rounds. I only get to 10th round, finisher)

C:
    Deadlifts 5/6 (reverse pryamid)
    Overhead Press 5/6/7 (reverse pyramid)
    Chinups 3x6-8 (bodyweight or if weighted, reverse pyramid)
    Barbell Rows 3x10
    Last edited by dabears; 05-24-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    That sounds right, I have to make myself weight train because its suppose to be good for you but I don't obviously see the benefits...they are kinda hidden. Endurance exercising I see the benefits easily so its hard to swap out one for other to me. I'm just trying to find the right amount of strength training to add in.
    Then do some type of bodyweight training such as You Are Your Own Gym.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    If you let strength numbers motvate you, then you'll never get strong enough! Lets say you want to squat 300 pounds and when you finally get there you will most likely have changed your strength goals for squats to 400 instead...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    How much time? With weight lifting it seems the sweet spot varies for people and often it's a lot less time than they actually spend. I'm doing about 1.5 hours a week of it--30 minutes 3x a week, maybe a little less, not counting the class I'm taking that will be finished next week. You can probably do even less than that and still get benefits. Most of the time I'm in the gym I'm actually resting between sets.

What matters most is the amount of time between workouts. The sweet spot is really finding the amount of optimal recovery time so that you are at just the right point in the stress cycle that you can receive more stress to stimulate more adaptation. Wait too long and you never get any stronger. Wait too short and you overtrain and don't get any stronger. Most people overtrain.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    My personal strength minimums are:

1) Be able to punch a bear square in the face if necessary
    2) Be able to pick up someone larger than you and drop them on their head
    3) Be able to push a car with an old lady stuck inside out of the path of an oncoming train
    4) Be able to climb to safety (Climb what? From what? The answer to both is ANYTHING)
    5) Do pullups with someone hanging off of you
    6) Be able to push a burning tree or boulder off of your pinned body
    7) Run through a wall of ice to escape a Yeti

But everyone's different.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    I'm probably at that level most of the time...just a bit under the intermediate level that dabears posted above. Hmm... looks like i may have to experiment some...diminishing returns for time spent weigh training...picking and choosing on whats gets the most out of limited time.
    That's (bolded) not what determines intermediate level, at least not in the context of my post. Your rate of adaptation determines whether you are a novice or not, not how much weight you can lift.

rockrunner Guest
    That's (bolded) not what determines intermediate level, at least not in the context of my post. Your rate of adaptation determines whether you are a novice or not, not how much weight you can lift.
    I'm way a beginner for strength training with weights...it seems to take me about 8 weeks to stall on strength increases with my 10 minute workout then I stop for a few weeks then start a new cycle....I just started a new cycle about 3 weeks back this time when I stall out I'm going to change things up and keep going. I have access to a weight room at work for about 20 minutes every work day so maybe I can do something with that time....not exactly my idea of recreation though.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm way a beginner for strength training with weights...it seems to take me about 8 weeks to stall on strength increases with my 10 minute workout then I stop for a few weeks then start a new cycle....I just started a new cycle about 3 weeks back this time when I stall out I'm going to change things up and keep going. I have access to a weight room at work for about 20 minutes every work day so maybe I can do something with that time....not exactly my idea of recreation though.
    How much strength you need really depends on your goals. Doing compound movements with barbells is one of the best things that you can do for your health. For example, if you have a strong squat, deadlift, and overhead press, you've come a long way toward keeping your knees, lower back, and shoulders, respectively, surgery free.

If you only have 20 minutes, a lot can still be accomplished. I'd suggest doing one lift each day. So, you could squat on Monday, press on Wednesday, and deadlift on Friday. Adding in chinups somewhere wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Most importantly, remember that strength itself isn't the end. It's the means to an end (your goals).
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast