Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold green tea - for school? page

LockieKermit is offline Member

Cold green tea - for school?

Shop Now
    So I like green tea, but cant really make green tea at school...

Could I fill a half a bottle of water - then make about 2 cups of green tea how I would normaly and then just pour the green tea into the bottled water and chuck in the fridge for a few minutes?

It would be extremely watered down and ill just add some lemon juice or something.

My question is: Will the anti-oxidents die or reduce when they go cold?

I could do this every morning before school...

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I don't know for sure but when carrots are first cooked their antioxidants are higher than they were before cooking but interestingly enough if you leave them in the fridge for a few days, they'll have even more.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    AFAIK nutrition isn't harmed by cold, only by heat. Also you don't want stuff hanging around at room temperature which encourages bacteria - but since you make the tea with boiling water should be pretty safe. I don't see why you couldn't make it the night before so it's nice and chilled by morning. Put it in the freezer while you get ready. Or else have an inch of water frozen in the bottle, let the tea cool as long as possible in another container then pour it in before you leave.

Thanks, it will just be a daily thing, Im not going to make a batch to last a month, ewww...

It basicaly my normal water that I bring to school, but add some nice antioxidents to it.

So heres the plan

Half filled water bottle (.75 litres) so .35 litres full

Put that in the fridge over night.

In the morning, brew 2 cups of green tea and let them cool a bit, then chuck them in the water bottle, take to school, drink.

Repeat

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I wouldn't know green tea never lasts long enough to get cold.

no freezer?

oh, what about getting a thermos so you could take it hot? I saw some small ones the other day, not too expensive.

I could chuck it in the freezer I guess....What do you mean though? put the water in the freeza or the tea?

if you freeze a bit of water in the bottom, it'll chill it more effectively without diluting so much, so you'll have a cold refreshing drink all day. Just a thought... I don't like lukewarm flavored things - room temperature water yeah, but tea? blech. Has to be chilled or hot.

ehh well it will be in my locker which is slightly below room temperature...Ill figure something out - my main question was if it lost its nutritional value or anything.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Couldn't you brew double strength green tea (two tea bags per cup) to keep in the fridge, and in a day by day basis add it to water or ice water? That's how I make iced tea, anyway. Some iced tea recipes will call for quadruple strength tea, even.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast