Thread: AC and sinuses - primal workaround? page

Violette_R is offline Senior Member

AC and sinuses - primal workaround?

Primal Fuel
    So far this season my allergies have been practically non-existent and my sinusitis significantly improved. The last two nights, though, I had to run the AC to sleep and my sinusitis has made an ugly return. I had to take a Sudafed this morning to not be miserable.

Sleeping without the window unit on isn't really an option for me most of the warm season. My 4th floor New York Shitty apartment sucks up and stores heat like a jealous bitch and if it's 75 or over (which it will be until mid-September) I simply can't sleep. If the choice is sleep deprivation or near-daily doses of Sudafed, the Sudafed is the lesser of two evils but I'd love to not deal with either.

The unit doesn't blow directly on me. I've been avoiding wheat like the plague. I have half and half in my coffee a few times a week - I guess I could bring cream to work or even cut out the dairy altogether. I use a neti pot a few times a week and starting today will make that daily.

Any other suggestions? I did some Googling on my own but it was all steroid this and Flonase that. While frequent Sudafed probably isn't good for me, I'm guessing steroids would be even worse. I've been to the doctor - he just prescribed Flonase and told me to see an ENT about possible polyps. But a friend with polyps said they'll just prescribe steroids and the polyps come back when you finish the course.

Paleobird Guest
    Could there perhaps be a problem with clogged/mold infested filters in your AC system? Do you have one unit just for your apartment or is it a central one for the whole building? Either way, see how long it's been since the filters were serviced.

It's one window unit in the bedroom - no central in the building. I clean the filter myself and just did it last week.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Reducing dairy or replacing it with butter may help. You could try putting some kind of obstruction between the AC and where you sleep or turning it to a warmer temperature to keep it tolerable in there but not have it run as often. Cleaning the filter is fine, but I think those are replaceble so you may need to do that. I am not an expert, but I am sure there are probably ways to do a deeper cleaning of the thing also. Maybe check online for that.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Can you clean the AC unit any more than just the filter? Mine got moldy last year. I don't know if I can dissemble it, but it's definitely going to spend some time in the sun before I put it back in my window (on the South side of the house).

Honestly, I don't think Sudafed is going to kill you. You probably have a mold allergy.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Can you clean the AC unit any more than just the filter? Mine got moldy last year. I don't know if I can dissemble it, but it's definitely going to spend some time in the sun before I put it back in my window (on the South side of the house).

Honestly, I don't think Sudafed is going to kill you. You probably have a mold allergy.
    That's what it sounded like to me too and you are right that it could be in more than just the filter. Also Markbt has a good point about replacing not just cleaning filters.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That's what it sounded like to me too and you are right that it could be in more than just the filter. Also Markbt has a good point about replacing not just cleaning filters.
    We have a window unit in our bedroom and I can see mold/mildew inside. There's a lot more to AC guts than the filter! Actually, I *could* see mold. We replaced it at the end of last season, because I couldn't get into all the moldy spots to clean them. It really pissed me off that it wasn't possible to take the unit apart enough to properly clean it. WTF? Window AC is supposed to be disposable too? Even though neither DH or I are especially sensitive to mold, I knew it wasn't good to be breathing it all night. Our strategy now is to buy the smallest, cheapest unit possible and send it to Goodwill after a year.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, the good news I need a new one anyway. This is is is working inefficiently in addition to making me sick.