Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Say 10 random things about yourself! page 7

canio6 Guest
    Shop Now
    1. I confuse people by being English but having a Latino last name.
    2. I think a woman's place is out of my kitchen.
    3. Back in my mis-spent youth I trained as an opera singer and played Renaissance woodwinds.
    4. My current job is the only one I have kept for more than a few years. I get bored and quit usually.
    5. I was a teacher for a few years and think they are overpaid but under-respected.
    6. Despite not teaching in almost 10 years I still receive emails/phone calls from former students.
    7. I fall asleep in cars even when driving.
    8. Despite this the Army decided I should be a convoy security driver in Iraq (luckily I stayed awake...yay for Rippits)
    9. I am a published author of erotic fiction despite having had less sex than the average middle schooler.
    10. I once had a pet named after every main character in Dude Where's My Car? and even named my cat Shibby.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I think that's the first time I've ever heard someone say teachers were overpaid.

M.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I think that's the first time I've ever heard someone say teachers were overpaid.

M.
    Most of my high school teachers were overpaid for the amount of effort they put in.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post

M.
    Truth be told I mainly say it to start a discussion about teaching/the public school system. And if nothing else it is fun watching steam come out of my dad's ears. (He's been a teacher for almost 20 years)

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Something tells me that Canio could list more than 10 interesting/surprising things about himself.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Of Course, and I have the t-shirt to prove it.: ) I live in Stone Ridge, but work in Kingston.
    Haha, I was reading the t-shirts last time I was there.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Totally! I live in Canada, and was an educator for many years. A first year nurse has a much larger starting salary. In Finland teachers are highly paid and respected, with the same deference as we pay to doctors and lawyers. They also must all hold a master's degree. I think a huge issue in NA as a whole is that teachers are not respected in terms of salary or as the professionals they are.
    edit- That is not to say that some teachers do not deserve to be turfed for laziness. I recall years ago, a HS teacher telling the class that he recalled his idealism as a beginning teacher and how the system squashed it to non-existence. Our school systems do not encourage creativity and are so pressed to teach to standardized testing results, that it is not surprising that some teachers just 'give up'. By the way, Finland's kids start school at 7 years so that their brains can develop naturally as children, they have NO home work, ONE standardized test at 16 years of age, and very little in the way of technology in the classroom, so that learning is person to person. Post secondary school is free for all students, one of the great benefits of higher taxes. AND, they are at the top of the world in terms of standing when they finish HS. Even the worst students are at least, bilingual.
    Last edited by Aili; 05-30-2013 at 11:09 AM.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    Totally! I live in Canada, and was an educator for many years. A first year nurse has a much larger starting salary. In Finland teachers are highly paid and respected, with the same deference as we pay to doctors and lawyers. They also must all hold a master's degree. I think a huge issue in NA as a whole is that teachers are not respected in terms of salary or as the professionals they are.
    True, but in Finland you have to be in the top 90% of all college students to be accepted into the education master's program. Here in the US education majors usually are in the lowest scoring/performing (no, I am not saying all teachers are stupid. My dad is brilliant as I am sure every teacher here is too). That said, I think the major issues are with the system not the teachers themselves. Out of curiosity, how many teachers would work 50 weeks a year if it meant a pay raise? (obviously it would as they are currently only paid for 180-200 days).

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    That said, I think the major issues are with the system not the teachers themselves.
    Absolutely.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    What I love about this thread is learning things about my MDA friends that I didn't know. Canio, my birthday is in August. I would like a bedtime story...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast