Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The drug addict look-alike diet? page 5

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My process with Sisson and other paleo folks is that they look younger than their CW peers. The vegetarians whom I have seen over the years who are the same age tend to be thinner and less muscular. Sometimes more aged, sometimes not.

I think this is because of a difference in perception of exercise. In my vegetarian years, most vegetarians were into long-slow (walking, hiking, slow swimming), and some of them were into long distance running and cycling. it's just the culture.

Whereas in paleo circles, the exercise is more about muscle mass and body weight and weight training. Long slow -- but really slow and rather rare (hiking or long walks).

And so i think it might be the exercise -- not hte food per se -- that does the trick.

Ie, people speculate (and perhaps mark has said so) that his years as a distance runner is what aged him.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Ie, people speculate (and perhaps mark has said so) that his years as a distance runner is what aged him.
    Plus sun damage plays a huge part in making the face look older.

My dad is 65, seems more like middle aged now than 60's used to.
    His dad died at 59 when I was little, and pictures of him show what looks to me like a man in his 80's or 90's. But then they lived very different lives, after WW2 my grandad was a prize fighter, strongman, turned alcoholic chain smoker and gambling addict, and died riddled with cancer. Also, he had been bald from the age of 21, so always looked older than he was, whereas dad still has his hair.

Although my dad has worked hard in a manual trade all his life, he only drinks moderately and never smoked). Physically and mentally he's doing very well, facially lots of sun damage as he still surfs regularly as well as trains a kids surf life saving club.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

As for the example of the raw vegan being a successful "elite athlete", I've struggled to find anything that backs that up. In fact, there seems to be a lot of conflict on Aussie cycling forums about him exaggerating the level of races he competes in, especially when he finishes well.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The sun is a big one... as this image can clearly show.

That is not photoshopped.
    It's from the New England Journal of Medicine. Dude was a truck driver for almost 30 yrs. with the left side of his face being exposed to sun while the rest was more protected.
    Amazing difference in the aging from one side to the other.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    My process with Sisson and other paleo folks is that they look younger than their CW peers. The vegetarians whom I have seen over the years who are the same age tend to be thinner and less muscular. Sometimes more aged, sometimes not.

I think this is because of a difference in perception of exercise. In my vegetarian years, most vegetarians were into long-slow (walking, hiking, slow swimming), and some of them were into long distance running and cycling. it's just the culture.

Whereas in paleo circles, the exercise is more about muscle mass and body weight and weight training. Long slow -- but really slow and rather rare (hiking or long walks).

And so i think it might be the exercise -- not hte food per se -- that does the trick.

Don't forget that people have a tendency to enjoy and do more of what they're good at. A vegan has limited potential to grow muscle mass compared with a person who is eating more protein.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    As for the example of the raw vegan being a successful "elite athlete", I've struggled to find anything that backs that up. In fact, there seems to be a lot of conflict on Aussie cycling forums about him exaggerating the level of races he competes in, especially when he finishes well.
    Just watch a few videos, he may not be elite as in the Tour De France but he certainly is a high lever runner and cycler.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Just watch a few videos, he may not be elite as in the Tour De France but he certainly is a high lever runner and cycler.
    Videos of him competing?
    I've only been able to find vids of him talking about races he's competed in an how well he's done, which is often contradicted by guys on forums who also compete. Not really fussed either way, other than the fact he holds himself up as a world class athlete, which you also agree he isn't.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Videos of him competing?
    I've only been able to find vids of him talking about races he's competed in an how well he's done, which is often contradicted by guys on forums who also compete. Not really fussed either way, other than the fact he holds himself up as a world class athlete, which you also agree he isn't.
    Yes im saying for being a fruitarian who everyone seems to think is killing himself quickly, is in amazing shape and can run and ride in top percentages of athletes he races against. Not saying hes world class or anything.
    Last edited by Zach; 05-25-2013 at 07:00 PM.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post

I think his face looks awful, but his body looks great enough! I suspect smoking to be the worst wrinkler.
    Take a walk on the wild side.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    The sun is a big one... as this image can clearly show.

That is not photoshopped.
    It's from the New England Journal of Medicine. Dude was a truck driver for almost 30 yrs. with the left side of his face being exposed to sun while the rest was more protected.
    Amazing difference in the aging from one side to the other.
    It is especially sun through a window that is bad for skin health... not so much the unfiltered sun rays.
    Take a walk on the wild side.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345