Thread: How much is one serving of vegetables? page

yaslind is offline Junior Member

How much is one serving of vegetables?

Primal Fuel
    I usually have a BAS for lunch and for dinner we have a meat with two side dishes of veggies. That's usually it for the day unless I have a carrot for a snack. How do I know exactly how many servings of veg I'm getting?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    It's a lot more helpful to go by calories, macronutrients, and micronutrients. Shoot for a certain number of calories per day comprised of certain percentages of protein, carbs, and fats, and aim to get as many nutrients as you can.

I eat about 2500 calories per day. I probably get about 60% fat, 25% protein and 15% of that as carbs. Probably about 250 calories are coming from some sort of vegetable. There really isn't any requirement for vegetables or any particular goal one should shoot for. Only various nutrients from vegetables that would warrant eating them. the whole "servings" mentality stems from the food pyramid concept which stems from farmers concerned about selling food so it hardly makes sense to be measuring food in terms of commerce rather than nutrition.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I don't usually count servings. I guess I sorta estimate a cup as a serving, roughly, but I just go by Fitday and my macros to guide me. What I eat, how much, and when is totally random.

etomaria is offline Member
    Dude, Diana, can you mail me Amish eggs?? I'll double that price! )) (...this is mostly in jest... unless, of course, you actually want to try mailing them to California-- in which case it's serious! )) )

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    a serving is 1/2 c except wrt broccoli and cauliflower florets and lettuces where a serving is 1c.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order