Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close

Thread: Add some weight lifting to my workout

Switzerland / Neuchâtel

Add some weight lifting to my workout

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

I came here to ask for advices and comments on my workout program :

I weight 78kg and am 178cm high. I just lost about 20 kg the last year and still have a few kg to lose.
    I wanna become fitter and pack on some muscle. I basically follow a primal diet with a 16/8 feeding window. I usually eat some starches or rice at night (4-5 times a week).

I never lifted weight, but I'm able to do 10 chin ups, 12-14 dips, ...

I'll be able and want to go just once a week to the gym, the other workouts will be done at home (I have a pull up bar, dips platform and a weighted jacket), and I wanna focus mostly on bodyweight (or weighted bodyweight) exercises. But as I read, it would be good to add some exercises to my previous bodyweight program aka Deadlift, Squat and Overhead Press

I want to base my workouts around these exercises :

- Upper push : push ups variations till one arm push ups and dips variations till weighted or ring dips and Overhead press the day in the gym
    - Upper pull : Chin ups, pull ups, and inverted rows variations
    - Legs : Pistol squat progressions and front squat and deadlifts in the gym

My program :

Monday at home 5x5
    - Pistol squat
    - Chin Ups
    - Dips

Wednesday (the day I go to the Gym) :
    - Front squat 5x5
    - Overhead Press 5x5
    - Deadlifts 1x5

Friday at home 5x5 or 4x6 :
    - Pistol squats
    - Inverted rows or Pull ups
    - Push ups

I like to read what trainers like J. Ferruggia or Chad Waterbury tell about training. I think it'd all beneficial for me to add one day a week weightlifting (aka Deadlift, Squat and Overhead Press) to my program.
    Do you think my program makes sense, should I change/add anything ?

Thank you very much

RI, USA
    I personally think 2 days strength training is enough and a day of sprints. the rest of the time walk.

I'd split it up the way you have it but one day iron, one day bw.

Edmonton AB
    at first you should be able to complete deadlifts, squats, and overhead press in same workout while you learn form + grow.

you'll find as time progresses these full body exercises are too taxing (squats/deadlifts) to complete in the same session, you'll be too taxed.

these are basic lifts that should be added to anyones routine who is serious about gaining strength

no bench press?

Switzerland / Neuchâtel
    Shop Now
    Well, as I will be able to go just once a week to the Gym, I didn't really what to think about the bench press.
    I feel the bodyweight exercises are pretty good for the upper body, but they might not be as effective for the lower body. Therefore, I wanted to focus my only weight lifting session on legs exercises (aka squat and deadlift) and I decided to add the OHP to them. Does it make sense ?
    The weight lifting workout (OHP, Squat and Deadlift) is indeed one of the two sessions of the original strongliftf 5x5 program !