Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicken thighs page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Chicken thighs

Primal Fuel
    I bought some organic chicken thighs today, and I have to say, they were delicious. I used to exclusively eat chicken breasts because, you know, it's "healthier". Until I started reading the MDA blog and forum, CW was pretty ingrained into my nutrional thinking, so I never considered thighs a good choice. Because of the demand for breasts, thighs are half the price of breasts! More good stuff for me. So who else enjoys thighs?

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Oddly, my story is a lot like yours. We always bought chickenbreasts. Then, actually we moved to the other side of the country where its much more expensive, so we didn't eat much chicken anymore, also I found that it tasted different down here. I was talking to a local farmer who convinced me to try his chicken. I bought a pack of chickenbreasts (OUCH!) and a pack of thighs (manageable), awesome. My kids hoovered it. My inlaws too. I have yet to try it on the husband (overseas), but I suspect the same. They were all "white meat fanatics". I think I converted them. I love doing up extra on the BBQ, stripping the meat off and using it as a salad topper the next day. I never could do that with white meat as I always found the next day it was too dry!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I love chicken thighs and especially the skin, although I'm a little conflicted. On the one hand, we definitely don't want any more omega 6 than is necessary, but on the other hand without the chicken fat it tastes like poop. Shouldn't be much of an issue as long as it fits a person's comfortable omega 3:6 ratio. And all in all, it's not that much. Eating protein without fat is by far the more egregious sin.

Anyone have any good info on the omega 6 content of organic free-range chicken vs conventional?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    I'm grateful for CW "wisdom", I can afford thighs ALL THE TIME! They make the BEST quick soup too!

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    I'm a recent dark-meat convert too! After a lifetime of only eating chicken breasts, I tried wings a few weeks ago. Then last week, I made chicken drumsticks (because wings are so tiny LOL). I can't believe how cheap organic, free range chicken can be if you buy the other parts! Next time I'm at the store, I'll pick up some thighs to try them too
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -- Virginia Woolf

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Thighs are my favorite part of a chicken. I usually buy chickens whole, but if I buy pieces, it's always thighs or whole legs.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Yup, I'm a thigh man. I like to take Jamaican jerk spices and coat both sides and under the skin. Put it on a super hot grill to get the skin crispy and then turn it down really low, about 250 degrees with a smoke box. This always gets rave reviews.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I like the legs. Really cheap. Slow baked in the oven. Sinfully good.

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    I also used to only like boneless skinless breast meat, but gaining a voracious appetite for fat, getting awesome chicken at the farmer's market the day after slaughter, and my brother being a chef have turned me into a leg-thigh man. In fact, a couple weeks ago, the family all sat down to dinner. I picked up my leg-thigh and began tearing into it with great gusto, and looked up and noticed everyone else was using a fork and knife. Oh well!

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I ususally don't like chicken breast because the meat is so dry. However, you can marinate them ... for example in soy sauce and sugar. Simply cut them into small strips, marinate them for like an hour and then rinse them clean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast