Thread: Looking for a recipe for pork ribs in the crock pot page

jennf is offline Senior Member

Looking for a recipe for pork ribs in the crock pot

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have two lbs. of pork ribs I need to cook up, but I need to cook them in the slow cooker as I'll be away from the house for most of tomorrow. I've tried to find one, but they all call for sweet sauces of one kind or another - not what I'm looking for. And I don't know enough about crock pot cooking to figure it out on my own.

Any recipe suggestions?

Thanks!

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    I tried this a few weeks ago, posted it in my journal:

I have some pork back ribs, but couldn't find a recipe for the slow cooker that I liked, as most had either sugar, or BBQ sauce, neither of which I wanted. So I dug around the pantry and came up with my own thing, hopefully it will turn out. Made a rub of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, dry mustard, coriander and sea salt. Rubbed over the meat. Placed in slow cooker on top of 2 sliced onions. Poured over top was a bit of dark soy sauce (generally I avoid soy but the flavour of this is too good, so just a bit), worchestershire, and white wine. Will leave slow cooker on high for an hour or so, then turn down to low for the rest of the day
    Finished them off by removing them very carefully from the slow cooker as they were deep in juices and meat falling off the bone, and popped them under the broiler for about 10 min to crisp up a bit. Very tasty, and a hit with the whole family. Used the leftover broth with the soft onion the next day to make a great soup too.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I put three whole onions in the bottom of the slow cooker to elevate the rib racks. It helps keep them from slowly boiling in their juices. I use a dry rub of:

1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    2 teaspoons salt

It used to have three teaspoons of brown sugar, but not anymore. Greensprout's broiler method is excellent for an outdoor grill texture. Google bbq dry rubs and you'll find dozens of winners. Mine is very basic, but always a winner. The pork fat stewed onions have several admirers around here too. I used to process them with some herbs and sour cream into an onion spread or onion dip. That will still work with celery.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    These are both great ideas. Thanks so much for helping me out!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm--I use smoked paprika in my rib rub as it adds a yummy smoky flavor.

If I've got more ribs than will fit in one layer in my crockpot, can I put them on top of each other? Will this negatively impact the flavor or the way they cook? TIA!

DebFM is offline Senior Member
    I've put them in with just a sprinkle of thyme and they turned out great. We ate them for days, too, they were so fatty - really filling. Yum. FairyRae I do believe I layered them, too.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Last time I did ribs with too many for one layer, I stood them up in the pot rather than laying them down, and pretty much filled the pot. They turned out great.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Thanks Deb and Greensprout. I've got some pastured pork ribs in the freezer so maybe I'll thaw them to make tomorrow! YUM!