Thread: Swimming workout??? page

Wcloos is offline Junior Member

Swimming workout???

Shop Now
    Tommorow I want to go for a nice swimming workout. Only thing is, I don't really have a plan on what I want to be doing. Was thinking of just swimming 10 minutes to warm up a bit and after that go for some more intense things. No idea how I can go for a primal workout here !

So do a few of you know some nice exercises I can use tommorow to really get the most of it?

Already thanks fellow groks!

PS I will post what I did tommorow. If I really like it I'm planning to go for a this kind of workout once a week or so!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I've heard someone mention the idea of doing swimming Tabata's (google it if you don't know what they are) but no one's really mentioned it since.

I LOVE swimming.

Would like to hear what other's think about it's suitability as a Primal work out.

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member
    so there are a few ways you can approach a swim workout based on your fitness level at swimming of course. Primally speaking, you are probably going to want to do one of two things 1) mimic the same type of slow cardio Mark recommends with walking and do a nice stretch out workout maybe mix up freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke as you want for about 30-45 minutes again depending where you are at with swimming or 2) treat this like a HIIT workout by warming up for 10 minutes like you said than doing a set of say 10 x 50 yards, or most likely 50 meters there, freestyle (crawl) all out sprint with about 2 min rest between each or until you feel recovered then doing a nice, slow stretch out for 20 min or so. Obviously this is working different muscle groups (and indeed the whole body) than doing HIIT on dry land, but I believe if you are focusing on all-out effort with enough rest in between you can make this work for primal fitness.
    Have fun!
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

pirate13c is offline Junior Member
    I love swimming! I work at a pool and so I swim quite often. Just like was mentioned before, sometimes I will do a slow paced long swim just to keep moving, otherwise I like to do a high intensity work out in the water. Usually I will do 50 or 100 yard sprints. I have found that switching up the style (freestyle, kicking with a board, pulling with a buoy) and alternating my sprints kicking/swimming/pulling, as well as doing different strokes, not only makes the workout more fun, but each part of my body gets a hard workout.

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    I use swimming as my slow and steady, low intensity workout...I will do laps wiht just my arms, and some with just legs. on my front, on my back...butterfly stroke is excellent for sprints.

I wish I could LIVE in a swimming pool or the ocean...I feel most at 'home' there

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member
    "I wish I could LIVE in a swimming pool or the ocean...I feel most at 'home' there "

I completely agree! I started swimming competitively when I was 5 until I was 20 and I guess water just became ingrained in me. I love anything to do with water be it lake, ocean, river, or pond and want to live by one when I finally settle down. I even have a small tattoo of the water element from "The Fifth Element" on my right ankle
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

Lean Body is offline Member
    I swim regularly every morning, but I only have a little time since I have to go to work, so here's what I do to maximize my swimming workout
    20X100m on 2min....go hard....... you will get faster
    second workout.... 30min continus swim.....build up the effort on the second half....
    small warm up and cool down.

another fishie chiming in.....I LOVE swimming! Bought myself a SwiMP3 and I can do laps until the cows come home....(upon which I EAT them!) There are websites you can google to find workouts and this workout will get you to a mile in 6 weeks (one of my favs) Zero to a Mile.
    my Primal Journal: Journal

my FitDay: FitDay

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I love swimming, too. I alternate slow strokes with faster ones -- usually I warm up with 5 laps of breast stroke, then alternate breast with crawl (2 breast, 1 crawl, then 1 and 1, then 1 and 2), depending on how vigorous I'm feeling. Mostly I just like the feel of the water.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    I have never competed but love swimming. I enjoy it mostly in the ocean or lakes. I enjoy scubadiving and snorkeling and have been leaning toward the latter lately. The snorkeling in the Atlantic, sans wet suit, has to be primal because it takes a great deal of courage and fortitude to give it a go!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes