Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Secret Sugar Confessions page 5

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I use sugar about once a month to do some serious baking for work. I work from home, so I only go in once a month and cookies are called for. I do use honey sometimes in my food, but rarely. Usually when I'm making something barbecue related where honey really adds something.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Deane View Post
    Is English your second language? I ask that politely because I absolutely did not say that at all. That is a total fabrication and gross misrepresentation of what I wrote. I wrote, and I quote: But if folks want to eat themselves into an early grave fine by me. Freedom includes the right to make poor dietary decision... just don't ask me to pay for their irresponsibility.

Where in that sentence do I say sugar? It is not there. I said "dietary decisions." You assumed sugar when I did not write that at all. I also did not say it infringes on my freedom. Fundamentally I said just the opposit. I said freedom includes eating what you want. My objection is paying for other peoples' poor choices. If you decide to smoke all your life I don't think I should be forced to pay for your smoking-related health care. It's your freedom to smoke, and it's your resonsibility to take care of your sickness from smoking. It is your freedom to eat poorly and your responsibility to take care of your illness from eating poorly.

I absolutely did not say other people eating sugar infringes on my freedom. What it might do is raid my wallet, which is a different issue.
    Yes - kinda thought the "teaspoon of sugar" response was a strawman argument.
    Secondly I agree people can eat and do what ever the want - I just want to pay (in any form) for it in the end.
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 05-28-2013 at 05:47 AM.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I absolutely did not say other people eating sugar infringes on my freedom. What it might do is raid my wallet, which is a different issue.
    A lot of different health issues might raid your wallet. But if we start restricting what we perceive as "unhealthy" to keep us from paying for the bad decisions of others, steak, butter and bacon are getting banned long before sugar and grains. There is an obese woman in my neighborhood on public assistance (disability) and I watch her shuffle off and go get fast food. See her out for a walk a few days a week (good), but she is walking to get a value meal at McD's. Yeah, it's annoying as her disability is the diabetes. But what are you going to do? That's the set up.

I'd be sad if sugar was banned because it cost to much to support diabetics. It's like banning alcohol because of alcoholics. I'd miss a good cocktail at sunset at the beach.

Some of life's pleasures are at odds with health, for certain. And some people really abuse the hell out of life's pleasures. But that doesn't make everyone that enjoys them a problem for society.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Deane View Post
    Is English your second language? I ask that politely because I absolutely did not say that at all. That is a total fabrication and gross misrepresentation of what I wrote. I wrote, and I quote: But if folks want to eat themselves into an early grave fine by me. Freedom includes the right to make poor dietary decision... just don't ask me to pay for their irresponsibility.
    I love it when people try to accuse you of being a foreigner because you disagree with them. I must be un-American, eh?

Where in that sentence do I say sugar? It is not there.
    The post is full of talk of sugar. Pretending your sentences are unrelated to each other is just silly.

I said "dietary decisions." You assumed sugar when I did not write that at all. I also did not say it infringes on my freedom. Fundamentally I said just the opposit. I said freedom includes eating what you want. My objection is paying for other peoples' poor choices. If you decide to smoke all your life I don't think I should be forced to pay for your smoking-related health care. It's your freedom to smoke, and it's your resonsibility to take care of your sickness from smoking. It is your freedom to eat poorly and your responsibility to take care of your illness from eating poorly.
    I personally hate paying for the personal decisions of those who have insurance and decided to get as many services from hospitals and doctors as they can. Insurance passes the cost on to those who are uninsured and forced to pay many times as much as you and your insurance company pays combined. Overuse of the medical system by those who have insurance is the main cause of inflation of medical costs. As an uninsured person, I directly subsidize the cost of your health care.

This is a thread about eating small amounts of sugar. The anger in your post is not only directed at certain real or imaginary stereotypes in your life. It is directed at those who were saying they occasionally eat small amounts of sugar. They keep sugar in their houses. You claimed moral superiority.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-26-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    eKatherine, this comes from someone who really likes you and agrees with almost all of your posts. That said...

You really did kind of lay into Green Deane on a strawman basis and putting words in his mouth.

When you read what he wrote, he's on the right side of this.

Let's save our energy for refuting the sugar bees claiming with a straight face that the cure for all that ails ya is lots of refined sugar.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I don't use sugar but I do have a 500g packet in the cupboard for my dh to use in his coffee. I think he's slowed down his use considerably because I don't have to replace it nearly so often.

My dd would use it in baking but since I don't keep flour in the house she doesn't really bake any more. That makes her sad, but I don't want to let her because I don't want us all eating it. It is delicious though.

If I want occasional sweetness I use honey, like maybe a teaspoon at a time, so that lasts a long time also - not quite as long as the sugar because the girls use it on toast and crumpets.

Oops, just remembered I used sugar in my feijoa chutney - my bad.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    My dd would use it in baking but since I don't keep flour in the house she doesn't really bake any more. That makes her sad, but I don't want to let her because I don't want us all eating it. It is delicious though.
    If she enjoys baking, get her some coconut flour and let her loose with some "paleo baked goods". I bake up some muffins and things when I get the urge to bake. That way, if you decide you want some, no issues with gluten and she can enjoy perfecting the art of coconut flour baking. Plus the coconut flour is pricey, so kind of limiting on the quantity one might bake.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I don't use sugar but I do have a 500g packet in the cupboard for my dh to use in his coffee. I think he's slowed down his use considerably because I don't have to replace it nearly so often.

If I want occasional sweetness I use honey, like maybe a teaspoon at a time, so that lasts a long time also - not quite as long as the sugar because the girls use it on toast and crumpets.

Oops, just remembered I used sugar in my feijoa chutney - my bad.
    I would definitely recommend xylitol as the substitute for sugar. Now, if you never had it, you may have some gastric discomfort at the beginning (we did not in our family, it seems to be about gut bacteria) but this is temporary and your consumption can be progressive so you don't overdo it from the start. I read that some people dislike it for this or that reason but having been myself sugar addict, I can tell you it will satisfy your sweet tooth and holds good in baking. It is low glycemic, helps dental health, prevents ear infection in kids, helps against cold and sinus issues, promotes bone density, etc. I don't know why xylitol is not more popular to be honest ... the price is high though ... but it is not addictive at all.

Techie is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pour the sugar in a neighbors lawn, particularly near a fire ant mound. Can't use it if you don't buy it.

Excuse me for any typos and sarcastic remarks, sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345