Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Secret Sugar Confessions page 3

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I use sugar for my kombucha, eat it in berries and dark chocolate and fruit, etc. I even take the occasional raw honey plain or in my tea. Starch might not sit well with me, but I cannot villify sugar except by dosage. It is mostly harmless in small amounts, if not - and I don't mean to feed the trolls - potentially beneficial for some people.

Just because I love ketosis and run well on fat does not mean I don't get to enjoy sugar now and then. :P
    My kefir can beat up your kombucha!

But seriously.... without some sugars, what would our chirren eat?!
    *completely ignore the fact that we then eat our chirren.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I grew up in a household where foods either had magical health properties or were evil, so bad that a package of white rice in the cabinet would somehow degrade the heart-healthy whole grain goodness of all the brown rice stored there. White sugar would never have crossed the threshold of our house, though we had plenty of light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, molasses, honey, and other types I forget the names of. We had lots of homemade cookies, cakes, and other desserts.

And though my mother used lots of them, she was always using artificial sweeteners, too.

I see no reason to purge cane sugar from my cabinets and replace it with some other sugar.

Green Deane Guest
    Nothing. There's none in the house. Hasn't been for years. I can't relate to people craving it. I never have. In fact some 30 years ago (long before paleo et cetera) I worked for a company that gave you a cake on your birthday. Gawd how I hated that and having to eat a piece with everyone else (to be mannerful.) I dated a woman once whose (obese) family viewed a meal as a lame excuse to get to the dessert. Needless to say we stopped dating years ago, those that are still alive are still obese, and I still am not.

But if folks want to eat themselves into an early grave fine by me. Freedom includes the right to make poor dietary decision... just don't ask me to pay for their irresponsibility.
    Last edited by Green Deane; 05-24-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Deane View Post
    But if folks want to eat themselves into an early grave fine by me.
    I missed the research that shows that eating a teaspoon of sugar a week leads to an early grave. Could you cite a reference?

Green Deane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I missed the research that shows that eating a teaspoon of sugar a week leads to an early grave. Could you cite a reference?
    I missed where I said research shows a teaspoon of sugar a week leads to an early grave. Could you cite a reference?
    Last edited by Green Deane; 05-24-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Well, what you said was that eating sugar leads to an early grave, that it is irresponsible to eat sugar, and implied when others eat sugar it infringes on your freedom.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Well, what you said was that eating sugar leads to an early grave, that it is irresponsible to eat sugar, and implied when others eat sugar it infringes on your freedom.
    He did.
    My probiotic cultures are IRRESPONSIBLE dammit!

Gotta love teh dogmas...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    I used some sugar today, one teaspoon to start the yeast for an experimental gallon of homebrew (I am trying for strawberry wine using three jars of gifted strawberry jam...)

But homebrewing is about all I ever use it for! It was a great hunt to find the jar of 10 year old sugar cubes this afternoon!

Green Deane Guest
    Is English your second language? I ask that politely because I absolutely did not say that at all. That is a total fabrication and gross misrepresentation of what I wrote. I wrote, and I quote: But if folks want to eat themselves into an early grave fine by me. Freedom includes the right to make poor dietary decision... just don't ask me to pay for their irresponsibility.

Where in that sentence do I say sugar? It is not there. I said "dietary decisions." You assumed sugar when I did not write that at all. I also did not say it infringes on my freedom. Fundamentally I said just the opposit. I said freedom includes eating what you want. My objection is paying for other peoples' poor choices. If you decide to smoke all your life I don't think I should be forced to pay for your smoking-related health care. It's your freedom to smoke, and it's your resonsibility to take care of your sickness from smoking. It is your freedom to eat poorly and your responsibility to take care of your illness from eating poorly.

I absolutely did not say other people eating sugar infringes on my freedom. What it might do is raid my wallet, which is a different issue.
    Last edited by Green Deane; 05-24-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Green Deane Guest
    [QUOTE=cori93437;1200590]He did.
    My probiotic cultures are IRRESPONSIBLE dammit!

Gotta love teh dogmas...[/

What I wrote was, and I quote: But if folks want to eat themselves into an early grave fine by me. Freedom includes the right to make poor dietary decision... just don't ask me to pay for their irresponsibility.

Where in that sentence do you see the word sugar? It is not there. I said "dietary decisions."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast