Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol test results (and hs c-reactive protein) page

JohnnyGobbs is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol test results (and hs c-reactive protein)

Primal Fuel
    I'm part-time primal. Been eating way more carbs than usual lately though.

Here's results:

Cholesterol, Total 258
    Ldl Cholesterol Calc 166
    Triglycerides 122
    Hdl Cholesterol 68
    Vldl Cholesterol Cal 24

hs c-reactive protein 5.53 (this bugs me out, obviously)

What do you guys think of the cholesterol levels? I know the science and the guidelines are all over the place with this stuff so wanted the primal take on it. Thx.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Why is it bugging you out? Normal concentration in healthy human serum is usually lower than 10 mg/L

"High-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) levels
    The hs-CRP test measures your risk for heart problems. It may be done to find out if you have an increased chance of having a sudden heart problem, such as a heart attack. But the connection between high CRP levels and heart attack risk is not very well-understood.

High-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) levels

Less than 1.0 mg/L Lowest risk

1.0 to 3.0 mg/L Average risk

More than 3.0 mg/L Highest risk

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Wow , a massive difference in opinion between USA and Europe. Here its considered an "inefficient screening tool" for anything other than fast moving inflammation. It isn't used as a predictor of cardiac risk. Mine was 35 during a bout of pancreatitis and dropped to 1.4 at recovery. Im diabetic, had a stroke 20 years ago, overweight and and at that time was a smoker- surely my risk should have been more than average?
    I will read more on that but I am very wary of anything that's being used to push prescription of more statins.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Here's the 'Griff' take on your Cholesterol ratios:

TotC / HDL = 3.8 (ideally < 5)
    LDL / HDL = 2.4 (ideally < 4.3)
    Trig / HDL = 1.8 (ideally < 2)

So all your ratios are fine, although you do have moderately high triglycerides, which can be reduced by lowering carbs.

Check out the primer in my sig for more info.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    Wow , a massive difference in opinion between USA and Europe. Here its considered an "inefficient screening tool" for anything other than fast moving inflammation. It isn't used as a predictor of cardiac risk. Mine was 35 during a bout of pancreatitis and dropped to 1.4 at recovery. Im diabetic, had a stroke 20 years ago, overweight and and at that time was a smoker- surely my risk should have been more than average?
    I will read more on that but I am very wary of anything that's being used to push prescription of more statins.

I'm not saying it's definitely indicative of potential looming heart issues but there's no positives for it being at 5.5. I also had an ultrasound recently and it showed borderline cardiomegamy. I'm 31 and I had high blood pressure that was untreated for a while but now it's finally at optimal levels.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Here's the 'Griff' take on your Cholesterol ratios:

TotC / HDL = 3.8 (ideally < 5)
    LDL / HDL = 2.4 (ideally < 4.3)
    Trig / HDL = 1.8 (ideally < 2)

So all your ratios are fine, although you do have moderately high triglycerides, which can be reduced by lowering carbs.

Check out the primer in my sig for more info.
    So they're decent according to those ratios but they're not ideal, right?. The HDL is good but the LDL still seems pretty high. I know there's multiple schools of thought now on all of this but I don't know if I like the fact that I have that much bad cholesterol flowing through me. I was looking at a lipid test from 10 years ago and I had HDL 58, LDL 138, trigs 177.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGobbs View Post
    So they're decent according to those ratios but they're not ideal, right?. The HDL is good but the LDL still seems pretty high. I know there's multiple schools of thought now on all of this but I don't know if I like the fact that I have that much bad cholesterol flowing through me. I was looking at a lipid test from 10 years ago and I had HDL 58, LDL 138, trigs 177.
    No, all three ratios ARE in the ideal range for you.

LDL isn't bad. It's only small, oxidised LDL which is the bad stuff, and you probably had more of that 10 years ago that you do today, even though you have more total LDL today. Trigs/HDL ratio is an indicator of LDL particle size, and was 177 / 58 = 3! That's well outside the 'ideal' range. So although you weren't worried 10 years ago, your score is considerably worse than your current one.

Your LDL/HDL ratio (ideally < 4.3) has gone from 2.38 to 2.44. Which is a marginal improvement, but nothing to get excited or worried about really, since the two numbers are basically the same.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    No, all three ratios ARE in the ideal range for you.

LDL isn't bad. It's only small, oxidised LDL which is the bad stuff, and you probably had more of that 10 years ago that you do today, even though you have more total LDL today. Trigs/HDL ratio is an indicator of LDL particle size, and was 177 / 58 = 3! That's well outside the 'ideal' range. So although you weren't worried 10 years ago, your score is considerably worse than your current one.

Your LDL/HDL ratio (ideally < 4.3) has gone from 2.38 to 2.44. Which is a marginal improvement, but nothing to get excited or worried about really, since the two numbers are basically the same.

Maybe I'm just reading what you're typing wrong but you said I'm in the ideal range yet my LDL/HDL ratio is 2.44 bu you're saying ideal is greater than 4.3, right? Or am I misinterpreting?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No, ideally it is LESS than 4.3. Greater than is >

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast