Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: managed to make myself sick page 2

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    Beans (51%), Tomatoes (36%), Water, Sugar, Cornflour, Modified Cornflour, Salt, Antioxidant - Ascorbic Acid, Spice Extracts, Herb Extract
    "Modified Cornflour" or "Modified Cornstarch" means HFCS in the U.S.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Cryptocode.I thought I'd been avoiding HFCS. I didn't know this "Modified Cornstarch" means HFCS . How sneaky and thanks for telling me that
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-23-2013 at 01:26 PM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

Well RichMahogany I would obviously be better off eating the crayons and the box maybe- probably a ton healthier; and the blue is pretty

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    1-I probably wouldn't buy "heinz" anything
    2 - cornflower is a lovely shade of blue
    3 - psychological response. 100% even if an ingredient in the beans upset your stomach, it wouldn't be an instantaneous reaction
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    "Modified Cornflour" or "Modified Cornstarch" means HFCS in the U.S.
    They are not the same.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    The Wikidpedia entries for "corn starch," "High fructose corn syrup" and "modified starch" are downright frightening.
    They use corn starch to make corn syrup. Then they modify corn syrup to make high fructose corn syrup.
    Or they modify the starch directly into an anti-caking powder which substitutes for fats. It shows up in cheap yogurt and ice cream all the time. Even before I went primal I couldn't stand the texture.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

I too looked at Wiki- I doubted it but am glad I checked and didn't dismiss it. I was shocked myself ; I avoid HFCS and had no idea that modified starch was just a sneaky way to disguise it.
    Whatever went on in that odd event yesterday evening left me with a histamine, I came out in a rash and a runny nose in the night. Feel a bit better after some piriton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12