Thread: How can I increase ketones to break down fat for energy? page

girl_on_food is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb How can I increase ketones to break down fat for energy?

Primal Fuel
    I have been primal for 79 days. I work out three times a week and usually for up to 3 hours on these days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I am currently in training for a couple of triathlons.

I use Ketone strips daily to test whether or not my body is producing ketones to break down fat for energy. When I first went primal I would be in the moderate range more often then not. Recently I have had no trace of ketones therefore I know I am doing something wrong. What can I do to increase the ketones my body is producing to break down the fat and use it as my energy source? Am I eating too much? Too much fruit? Any thoughts or feedback would be most helpful!

Monday through Thursday my typical diet looks like this:
    Breakfast: 16oz regular coffee with 2 teaspoons of heavy organic cream. 2 fried eggs w/butter.
    Snack: banana
    Snack: 3/4 cup of kefir w/ 2 strawberries
    Lunch: Salad with green olives, cucumber, tomato, broccoli, radish, lettuce w/olive oil
    Snack: 4oz home made trail mix (almonds, macadamia nuts, coconut flakes and 65% cacao chocolate chips) Snack: small apple
    Dinner: some form of protein (rotate between steak, chick w/skin and pork chops) marinated in butter and veggies on the side (that I have sautéed with butter or olive oil)

Friday through Sunday my typical diet looks like this:
    Breakfast: 16oz regular coffee with 2 teaspoons of heavy organic cream. Banana.
    Lunch: Salad w/olive oil. Sometimes I eat a protein with it but not always.
    Dinner: some form of protein (rotate between steak, chick w/skin and pork chops) marinated in butter and veggies on the side (that I have sautéed with butter or olive oil)
    Snack: 4oz home made trail mix (almonds, macadamia nuts, coconut flakes and 65% cacao chocolate chips)

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    You need to blood test for them; the pee strips only work when you first start.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

rockrunner Guest
    girl_on_food,

Your meals look spot on to me...similar to how I eat but i have some bone both and fermented vegies and don't eat many nuts or much fruit. You have to use a ketone blood monitor to tell your if in ketosis or not...the ketone strips never show anything for me even when way into ketosis per the blood ketone monitor. My diet already had me into ketosis a lot without trying to cut down on the carbs much....I basically just have to cut out my weekend cheats to stay in ketosis.

Pastured butter and coconut oil and coconut milk will help train your body to run on ketones plus doing your workouts at a low effort below 75% of your max heart-rate will keep you in the fat burning zone of your metabolism.

If you haven't already check out the book " The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance " by Volek and Phinney...it outlines the basics for keto endurance training.
    Last edited by rockrunner; 05-23-2013 at 10:45 AM.

fredmull is offline Junior Member
    I'd take out the fruit and nuts. The dairy might also be causing issues. I would also add in coconut oil as it can help your liver produce ketones.

rockrunner Guest
    You might already be in ketosis with your current meals...its hard to say without a blood ketone meter. I've only done Sprint triathlons in ketosis and they went well. Are you doing longer races? If so you can get a gauge of your diet by how you feel on the longer bike rides.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Ketones don't break down fat.

To increase ketosis and lipolysis you need to decrease your carb intake. It's as simple as that.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe