Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBF: 2x/week is enough? page

Amalgam54 is offline Junior Member

Question PBF: 2x/week is enough?

Primal Fuel
    I love Primal Blueprint, its nutritional advice is amazing and I'm seeing pounds flying away effortlessly ever since I shied away from grains in favor of saturated fat and the like.

However, I am really skeptical about the fitness advice offered in PBF. How on earth can 1x/week sprinting and 2x/week strength training make you ripped? Especially when the sprints are 10-20 mins and the strength training is 10-30 mins. That amounts to 30 mins - 2 hours of high intensity training per week. What scientific evidence is there to support this is at all an optimal way to train? I understand the risk of over-training and burnout, but this seems to take things to the other end of the spectrum, ie undertraining. Would you really be worse off strength training 3-4x/week and sprinting in the days in between?

I don't see how this makes sense from the hypothetical Grok's perspective either. Why would Grok only need to sprint once every 7-10 days? Surely he must dash away from predators more often than that. The same skepticism applies to lifting heavy things. Wouldn't there be days where Grok would have to hoist heavy things over his shoulder for an entire day? And in general, the need to lift heavy things would be far more sporadic than a dedicated 10-30 min workout. All to say, thinking fitness in terms of Grok is highly speculative, so you really need scientific backing for these LHT & sprint workouts. Unfortunately most of the citations in PBF are links to Mark's own articles.

I agree with the concept of having 5-6 essential movements and that chronic cardio is harmful in a variety of ways, but I can't shake the sense that PBF needs more workout volume to achieve any kind of results. Is there any particular reason that a "conventional wisdom" type program like Starting Strength would be wasting your time?

JimmyDamage is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what your goals are. If your diet is clean and you just want to be in good shape with a healthy body then yes it is enough. If you want to be a powerlifter or a marathon runner then no, you would need a specialized program.

Suppose I want to look like Blake Griffin:

Obviously I work out for health primarily, but out of pure vanity that would be my ideal physique. What kind of training should I do for that? I don't care if it's slightly unnatural or demands working out 5x/week, I just want a realistic program for achieving those results given proper program adherence.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalgam54 View Post
    Suppose I want to look like Blake Griffin:

Obviously I work out for health primarily, but out of pure vanity that would be my ideal physique. What kind of training should I do for that? I don't care if it's slightly unnatural or demands working out 5x/week, I just want a realistic program for achieving those results given proper program adherence.
    1) Win the genetic lottery
    2) Lift damn heavy weights and run around like it's your job. Because it IS your job.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Eating strict primal/paleo, being on a dedicated strength program where you lift heavy 3-4 times per week, and adding some high intensity metcons would put you as close to blake as your genetics will let you.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Your problem is that you have been bombarded by messages saying that the more exercise, the better. No. Ineffective exercise is not better when overdone. Nor is effective exercise.

I agree, more is not always better, but if you look at 99% of the training programs of people with ridiculous blake griffin bodies they DO workout a ton. It's because they have the genetics that 99% of us don't have. There bodies can handle crazy volume without breaking down. Just check out the regimens for crossfit games athletes. Almost all of them work out multiple times a day multiple times per week almost year round. That kind of volume would destroy me.

Aren't you overstating the importance of genetics a little? Sure, some factors are out of your control (eg/ height), but surely anyone (short of some type of medical condition) can theoretically manage 6 pack abs and such with the right training program. It's just a matter of time and dedication. Where I'm placing my doubts is whether PBF will yield the desired results given that time & dedication. Looking like Blake on 2 hours of high-intensity training per week seems like a pipe dream.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    If you want to be more committed to a ripped look, you can always check out leangains. To be sure, you will have to readapt your eating habits (aka intermittent fasting, either 16/8 or what a bunch of us is doing: 20/4 fasting protocol with an occasional 44/4).

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    PBF is not geared towards a person looking to get a ripped appearance, but rather to individuals that are looking to purely get healthy. Check out Starting Strength, Wendler's 531, or even Al Kavaldo if you want workouts that will get you ripped. You might also want to check out the gains people are having in the steak and eggs thread in terms of gaining visible muscle.

In short, no, PBF is not likely to have you looking like Blake Griffin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast