Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PBF: 2x/week is enough? page 2

miata is offline Senior Member
    Getting to low body fat with a good diet makes a huge difference. I look more muscular now that I did when I was working out 3-4 times as much with more body fat. The science says that it doesn't take multiple hours of exercise to get your body to adapt to stress by growing more muscles. A little intense exercise goes a long way. I'm personally growing stronger and stronger with less than one hour twice a week and more than half of that is core stuff like planks, body bridges, etc.

I was making good progress when I started with the Body by Science program with only 15 minutes of lifting once a week. For me the key has been to focus on the bigger multi-joint lifts like bench press, overhead press, bent rowing, lat pulldown, squats and dead lifts. I've started deviating a bit from BBS to meet my personal needs, but have mainained shorter, higher intensity lifting routines.
    Last edited by miata; 05-23-2013 at 10:22 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You are forgetting that aside from the 1 sprint session and the 2-3 lift heavy things sessions that you are encouraged to move slowly every day and play as much as possible.

If you have been running on the hamster wheel for a while now and still don't have the ripped body you desire, what can it hurt to give PBF a try? Don't forget that abs are made in the kitchen, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Shotglass is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    ...Don't forget that abs are made in the kitchen, too.
    ^^Too true: No amount of exercise can overcome a crappy diet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Marks program works. I think just using planks as a core movement (even though the others hit your core) isn't the best. As someone who has had disc injuries in the past I think reverse hypers are a must.

I used it when I came off weights and saw great results in muscle gains which was unexpected after years of weights. My bf dropped from about 9% to 8%.

I have considered going back to it except using diamond pushups and doing the incline, flat then decline progressions before starting to use my trx and working through progressions on that.

I am training for a triathlon and thought these two intense sessions (that hits endurance hard) + my event training could be good.

If your wanting to make the training more Grok like, have you thought about doing bear crawl forward/backward sprints. Doing them on hills, going them for 400m's etc.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Cyrone Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I gotta be honest with you, my chest looks nearly the same as that Blake guy (can post pics later) and I only do "high intensity training" 2.5x/week.

45 mins upper body / abs on Monday
    30 mins legs on Wednesday
    45 mins upper body / abs on Friday

Thats it

Then sprint 1x/week
    Jog 20 mins 2x/week

So yeah, slightly more than what Mark recommends, but I also eat nearly 200g of carbs per day
    For the record, it wasn't until I read his book that I took it seriously to the point where my abs are stable
    I feel like I stopped working out for a couple weeks they'd still be there - not something I coulda said for my high-carb, low-intensity self of the past

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12