Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 80/20 rule page 4

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    But in practice it doesn't work, for reasons people have already mentioned.
    ? It's worked great for me. I've lost some odd 40 lbs worth of fat and changed my lifestyle and I can tell you that if I was under the impression that I had to be 100% all the time or this would fail that I would be a vegetarian who weighed 50lbs more. It's about changing from the mindset of "this is a temporary eating pattern" to "this is how I eat now and for the rest of my life". If you think you can banish a pretty major swath of foods from your diet forever, you are probably wrong. It might work for a couple of months, or even a few years. But it catches up.

Probably a lot depends on your personality type- how useful the concept of 20% is and how you intepret it.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Every day people post here: "I ate a little of the bad food and then fell off the wagon and ate everything! OMG what's wrong with me?!".

It gets old listening to it.

Just do 100%, easier.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Every day people post here: "I ate a little of the bad food and then fell off the wagon and ate everything! OMG what's wrong with me?!".

Just do 100%, easier.
    "How many cheat meals should I plan a week?"

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If you think you can banish a pretty major swath of foods from your diet forever, you are probably wrong. It might work for a couple of months, or even a few years. But it catches up.
    No, I can. Because I'm cool like that.

But yes this is the point, people who live in toxic food societies need to disentangle themselves from those societies which can be done with 1) an airplane ticket or 2) 100% rule.

I did both.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You crack me up eK!

More like per day!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Given that most people don't have the option to leave their homes.... and most people can't realistically go 100%, I'd rather see people eat 3-4 cheat meals a week, and 15-17 primal meals versus just giving up altogether. Yeah, don't expect rapid weight loss.... but far better than eating crap 21 meals a week.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You do what you have to do, you do what you want to do. Everybody has different priorities. I make sure I never eat things that I react to. And I also go out of my way to avoid industrial seed oils.

Things I don't react to but are low in nutrition, I don't consider them "cheating", but I try to minimize them, as I don't have room in my diet for empty calories except as a treat.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    I think that for most people who have had weight issues, 100% compliance is the best choice. I think people addicted to overeating should be treated like alcoholics. It's very rare that an alcoholic can "casually drink", just as it's hard for a an over-eater to "casually eat pizza". It just doesn't work for most.

The problem is that either approach (80/20 or 100%) has an extremely high failure rate. The bottom line is that no method, even most surgeries, have very good long term success rates. Most diets have 95%+ long term failure rates. (And that might be generous.) We like to believe Paleo is different, but only time and data can prove that. (Remember, it's much more likely that the people who stay with this forum long term are the successful ones. For every one of them, there are 100's who have come and gone.)

For myself, I try to go 100%. When I fail, I just start up 100% again. Now, I do allow potatoes and rice, so 100% is probably a lot easier for me than others. If I slip and have pizza, then the next meal I start fresh. The end result is probably 90% adherence.

I know beer is a "cheat" but I am interested in seeing how many people include wine in their normal day to day (maybe not everyday but, say you enjoy it more often than you dont) lifestyle..I drink about once a month (& sadly its normally a whole bottle) but I want to start adding wine in maybe every weekend. I know I probably cant get away with drinking the whole bottle every week, but I know if I allow myself to have it more often I wont freak out & feel like I have to get as much in me as I can that day..you know?
    I have about 10 more pounds that I would like to lose, but they are vanity pounds & I'm to the point where my sanity & social life need more attention than my waist line..
    anyone have any luck including wine? Or is it more of a rare/20% thing?

goinggrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post

Just do 100%, easier.
    The purpose of these forums is to get guidance and support. These kind of comments make me sad. Not everyone is a seasoned veteran, who knows it all or at least think they do. You contradict exactly what the PB book tells people 80/20. This is strictly your opinion. If these posts are getting old to you, don't reply its that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The spirit of this forum is to provide support and share information, these derogatory comments are not helpful nor necessary!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast