Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 80/20 rule page 3

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Nope. Most of us don't count that exactly. You make it sound like primal is a punishment whether we have to count out our exact celebratory meals. It's a guideline and gives wiggle room. That's all.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Just do the math: diet accounts for 80% of your success. If you are following the 80/20 approach, then 80% of 80% primal adherence means an effective primal coefficient of .64. On the other hand if you are looking a 20% cheat rate on diet, the impact is reduced to 16%, assuming that exercise, sleep etc. Is at 100% rather than 80%. If exercise is off, then the calculus gets a bit more complicated.

Or you could just take the approach that 80/20 is a rough guideline to not let perfect be the enemy of good.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    The 80/20 guideline works for a lot of people but you need to consider what the 20 percent is. If it's CAFO and occasional vegetable oil in a restaurant meal then you'll be getting good results. If its all doughnuts, then you might not be quite so good. (To use two extreme examples)

It can be very helpful though as a way of stopping people from becoming obsessive, because as we know, obsessive periods of dieting usually end with the return of old habits.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    It can be very helpful though as a way of stopping people from becoming obsessive, because as we know, obsessive periods of dieting usually end with the return of old habits.
    That's the take away on this one. Nicely said, Owen.

JackJones is offline Junior Member
    I find for me that if I give myself ANY lee-way in my mentality, then it turns into a slippery slope which eventually ends in a more 20/80 style of eating.

So I have a very strict no grains, no legumes, no processed foods deal and when I absolutely can't resist my cravings will eat a pizza or whatnot then go right back on.

This, for me, is the only way to make it work.

Planning cheat meals/cheat days ahead of time just leads me to think "well, I'm going to cheat tomorrow, so it won't hurt to cheat today." And then that leads to "well I already cheated yesterday, so might as well just have another pizza today."

It all depends on the individual I suppose.

And I've found after eating really strict primal for a year every time I do cheat now I realize how unfulfilling that cheat meal is and it makes it much easier to resist the next time. Pizza/pasta has really lost its appeal. They don't taste that great and leave me bloated and lethargic. No thanks!

So don't think that it will be a neverending battle against your cravings. Over time your habits will change, your tastes will change, and you'll find that you want the junk less and less.
    Spreading the Paleo/Primal message to gamers through my website: http://www.thehealthygamer.com
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyJacksChannel

Omni is offline Senior Member
    100% is complete anal perfection which as we know is also a complete 100% chronic stress condition which effectively negates any benefits of the primal concepts.

The optimal goal is 100% in all primal areas including diet, exercise, daily movement, stress reduction, fun, mental stimulation, social engagement, etc., all the while knowing that realistically there are compromises to be made and even within the primal sphere some of the goals may be competing, so you find a healthy balance somewhere less than 100%, only you can judge what that is.

A primal couple fully in agreement will have a different ideal set point to say a mother of 5 non primal kids and non conforming husband.
    The healthiest point is the place that gives the greatest nutrition for the lowest degree of stress, this point will be different for each individual, so arbitary measures become irrelevant.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJones View Post
    Planning cheat meals/cheat days ahead of time just leads me to think "well, I'm going to cheat tomorrow, so it won't hurt to cheat today." And then that leads to "well I already cheated yesterday, so might as well just have another pizza today."

It all depends on the individual I suppose.
    Yep, I can back up the individual part. For me, when I know I am likely to be engaging in a cheat meal of some sort, I am likely to be stricter in the days leading up to eat, eating as clean as I can, maybe cutting back calories a bit, sometimes even fasting beforehand for a day or so.

Then I do my best to enjoy the meal and get right back on track ASAP.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    "These days my 'treats' are mostly primal, like spending hours making a fabulous beef rendang (if you haven't tried this, google 'Rick Stein beef rendang recipe' and try it - it's regarded as one of the world's most delicious foods for a reason!)"

Holy Cow! ...that's a lot of ingredients! - but I have to make on your review alone . Thanks

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    So don't think that it will be a neverending battle against your cravings. Over time your habits will change, your tastes will change, and you'll find that you want the junk less and less.
    I think this is true. I can't remember the last time I wanted pizza. Or bread. Or anything that is "processed". I think it's kind of a "Rite of Passage" to have pizza, cupcakes, McDonalds or whatever and eat it and be like..."Oh, that tastes like shit". It's good once your palette changes to try the things you think you miss.

In terms of planning cheat meals... I don't do per se, but I'm dining out tonight and want to enjoy my meal (ie, I don't want grilled chicken on a salad), so I know I may end up with some non-primal foods. I won't get pizza but might end up with say, a pork chop with polenta or having a few bites of dessert. And after this, I'll probably eat very clean for a few weeks, like I have the last few weeks.

It takes a while to work this all out and there is no one answer. I do think if you "schedule" a cheat meal once a week and get the mindset of "I suffer thru primal meals to make it to pizza day", you will never make this a lifestyle. My mindset is more "I love primal foods, but you know what, today I want a bun for my burger" and "Mmmm, date night, duck over polenta looks great". To me, it's occasional variety and enjoying food, not so much about "cheating and deprivation".

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I imagine Mark put it in there not to alienate people. But in practice it doesn't work, for reasons people have already mentioned.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast