Thread: Need energy on an empty stomach! page

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member

Need energy on an empty stomach!

Any ideas for me? I've only been Primal for about a week. I guess I was eating too little carbs (35-50grams) for the first five days so I had no energy to run. Then the other night I ate a sweet potato with the hopes of having energy the next morning for a run but instead the energy came immediately and I had to go lift weights and run right away that night. I was unable to do a straight run because of the food cramping in my side so I did sprints. Then the next morning I felt weak - there was no way I had energy to run.

I love morning runs on an empty stomach and would love to continue this. I guess I am so sensitive to sugar/carbs now on PB that I get the energy effect right away after eating instead of storing it in my liver all night.

Is there anything I can do to get my way?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Eat primal longer.

It'll take a while for your body to figure everything out.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    you may need to dial back the running a little until you become more fat adaptive.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    eat more vegetable carbs in the evening;they break down more slowly than starchy carbs so your liver should top up its glycogen ready for use in the mornings. Glycogen is an energy reserve that can be quickly accessed on demand. Starchy carbs release their energy quickly (that's why blood sugar spikes in diabetics)
    Also as Mr Anthony says eat primal longer, when you're a fat burner your body can access the fat for energy more easily but in the changeover period neither source is easy; easy energy from carbs isn't available as you're not eating them, the glycogen store in the liver is small and quickly depleted yet your fat burnings not become very efficient yet. It can be a tough couple of weeks for the body.

OK! Thank you so much!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Julie, are you an habitual coffee drinker? If not, a cup of coffee can propel you. Or a cup of hot water with salt, lemon and chili pepper.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I run in the morning too. I love it and am not giving it up. I have lots of veggies for dinner and fruit too. Lots of greens, salad, stuff like eggplant, tomatoes, squash, broccoli, berries, bananas...that kind of thing. I run in the morning on coffee and no food. I think it's true that you just need to become more fat adapted. It's energy all day when you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Julie, are you an habitual coffee drinker? If not, a cup of coffee can propel you. Or a cup of hot water with salt, lemon and chili pepper.
    Like 3 cups a day.

"I run in the morning too. I love it and am not giving it up. I have lots of veggies for dinner and fruit too. Lots of greens, salad, stuff like eggplant, tomatoes, squash, broccoli, berries, bananas...that kind of thing. I run in the morning on coffee and no food. I think it's true that you just need to become more fat adapted. It's energy all day when you do! "

This is encouraging... do you eat meat at night then with your tons of veggies?

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Yep, meat and veggies or fish and veggies. My dinners are some kind of protein, and veggies. And fruit for dessert. I'm still trying to lose a few lbs so I stay away from starchy things like rice, etc but I will reintroduce those when I'm at my goal weight.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Like 3 cups a day.
    No workie probably then. Still try hot water with lemon/salt/chili or hot broth. Or a cold shower, lol. Those are my picker-uppers.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.