Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could oatmeal have made me violently ill? page

Grokkette is offline Junior Member

Could oatmeal have made me violently ill?

Primal Fuel
    A few weeks ago, I woke up at 6 am with what seemed like an awful case of food poisoning. At first felt like really bad menstrual cramps. Within about 45 minutes I was making frequent trips to the bathroom until it got to the point I couldn't even leave the bathroom. I was sweating, shaking, weak and exhausted, and eventually vomiting. Sorry for the gory details, but my question is, could oatmeal have been responsible for this? My boyfriend and I ate the same dinner, yet he didn't get the least bit sick. The only thing I ate that was different was oatmeal and strawberries. Having been almost completely grain and gluten free for months, could the sudden onslaught of gluten have caused those types of symptoms to that extreme?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

peril is offline Senior Member
    Could have been bad bacteria on the strawberries
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Oatmeal can also contain gluten due to cross manipulation of grains in factories. If you desensitized yourself from gluten, a little bit of it many months after can trigger these issues. But the berries can also be the problem (?) We had some elevated risks of food poisoning in DK a while back due to strawberries imported from Poland that were not proper for consumption.

Anyway, buy gluten free oatmeal (not made in the same factories as wheat / rye / barley products).

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Oatmeal can also contain gluten due to cross manipulation of grains in factories. If you desensitized yourself from gluten, a little bit of it many months after can trigger these issues.

Anyway, buy gluten free oatmeal (not made in the same factories as wheat / rye / barley products).
    I would assume this... oats tend to screw with me, too. It's a pain.

IMHO, drop them and replace them with something else. Like rice. It's nicer, anyway.

Grokkette is offline Junior Member
    Oh, silly me. I thought oats had gluten. I haven't been actively avoiding gluten, I've just been actively avoiding all wheats and grains in general. The oatmeal was a random craving indulged. lol

I guess it had to have been the strawberries. That's the only other thing I can think of. Super weird that a little handful of well-rinsed strawberries could make me feel like death incarnate!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Oats also contain a protein (prolamine) which behaves similarly to gluten, so even gluten-free oats can still be problematic (quick description here, along with quinoa, corn etc How to Keep Feces Out of Your Bloodstream (or Lose 10 Pounds in 14 Days))

Having said that, if memory serves, salad is the number one cause of food poisoning in the US, so it might have been something on the strawberries.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    it could have been oatmeal but the symptoms are typical of norovirus. If it was norovirus it might have been from the strawberries(especially if they were in an open container and you help yourself -other people dip into them to and hygiene differs!) but its as likely you picked it up from a shopping trolley or a door handle contaminated by someone who has norovirus and hasn't washed their hands. Norovirus requires such a small viral load that its easy to develop it.
    you feel like death until about 12 hours after the last bout of d or v, then quickly return to normal.
    my sympathies,

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    As CarbDodger said, it could have been a norovirus. They can come on quickly with not much warning.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    People who are highly sensitive to gluten and sensitive to oats might get those symptoms, but the timing is off. It would likely have happened come on more quickly in that case. And it might be with you for days.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Could be the strawberries or you could have caught something somewhere else. Public restroom, random stranger, or perhaps even if you had the same dinner as your boyfriend your food was from a different batch or someone different came in contact with it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast