Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quietly primal page

EmmaM is offline Member

Quietly primal

Shop Now
    I've been Primal for nearly 2 months now and have finally gotten around to starting a journal.
    So, my basics - am a 33-year-old Australian mother of one and just discovered am pregnant with our second baby. I quit sugar in January - which was easier than I'd expected - but kept reading about how amazing people felt after quitting sugar AND grains. So I did a bit of scouting around and found MDA.
    It was exactly what I was looking for and my husband and I switched to primal eating pretty much right away. We're both carnivores who live for lamb chops so we didn't take much convincing
    The scales tell me that I've lost about 2kg over the past couple of months, which is hardly impressive, and my measurements haven't really changed, but my clothes seem marginally looser around my classic pear-shape body, and I guess being pregnant (even though I'm only a few weeks in) may have put the skids on weight loss. I've no idea of body fat percentage so don't know if that's improved.
    But, I can gleefully report that my sugar and carb cravings vanished some time in the past month! Am hoping it stays this way, even throughout the pregnancy.

My current stats:
    Weight: 67kg
    Height: 156cm
    Waist: 76cm
    Hips/butt: 119cm.

I'm loving being primal so far and intend to never go back!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Emma. How wonderful to be free of the carb cravings, especially now you have a new little one on board. Now is definitely not the time for weight loss, but certainly is the time for the most healthy eating possible ie primal so you couldn't have picked a better moment to start. It's great to have your husband doing it with you. Best wishes for your primal journey and your pregancy, from another lamb chop fan down under.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    It is impressive considering you are pregnant- well done and congratulations. I hope your baby cravings are for chops

EmmaM is offline Member
    Thanks Annieh and CarbDodger - I'm looking forward to many lamb chops over the ensuing months

EmmaM is offline Member
    Happy enough with today's efforts.
    Breakfast: smoothie of coconut milk, berries and protein powder. Only just tried this and quite nice, though couldn't have it all the time. Will mix it up with a dairy one, methinks, as I seem to be able to handle dairy. And can't help thinking it might be wise to go back to it while pregnant, though that could be some stubborn CW hanging around.
    Had to buy a new stick blender as my old one, which cost all of $20 or something a few months ago, and which I gave an absolute caning, broke. So am all set for future smoothies now.
    Lunch: Went to town today (shopping day at region's main town, 40km away) and was able to take leftovers thanks to my nifty little car fridge. So had leftover beef mince & mashed pumpkin, with a bit of sour cream.
    Snack: Flat white coffee on decaf. From McDonald's, of all places. Even before going primal I avoided Macca's, but it has a good parents room, a good play area for my 12-month-old and good coffee, so ticks all my boxes these days.
    Other snacks: Was hungry in the late afternoon so had a couple of nut balls (basically nuts and butter mixed together) and a piece of vintage cheddar.
    Dinner: Takeaway from the new - and only - cafe in town of grilled fish, salad and chips. Even ate all the chips. I figured they're not 100% non-primal, and on a night when it's cold (well, cold for here. It's about 10 degrees) and I'm breastfeeding and pregnant, I may as well enjoy them as a rare treat. Also had a couple of small chunks of preserved peach served up to the baby but which were just going to be thrown at the cat or dropped on the floor.

Exercise: Nothing concrete, though did move around quite a bit by the time I got through the mountain of washing up, and another mountain of laundry that were mine today. Also walked around the shops, while pushing/lugging a 9kg baby. Then made about 20,000 trips from the car to the kitchen bringing all the shopping in.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Dairys not necessarily bad, butters good,pastured like kerrygold is considered best, cream is liquid butter and good cheese is good. full-fat yoghurt is also good. I use half & half in coffee but I only have 2 cups a day.
    It must be so exciting for you
    Marks information that might be useful
    if you've not got there yet
    5 Primal Superfoods for Fertility and Pregnancy | Mark's Daily Apple
    Dear Mark: Pregnancy Diet Tips for Inquiring Minds | Mark's Daily Apple
    Dear Mark: Protein for Pregnancy and Nursing, Reversing Sun Damage, Inflammatory Eggs | Mark's Daily Apple
    Is Cheese Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple

EmmaM is offline Member
    Thanks for the links - I've seen some but not all of them, so will check them out. And thanks too for the reassurance about dairy. I will enjoy the quality forms without worry from now on!

EmmaM is offline Member
    Skipped posting for a couple of days as we went camping and didn't have Internet coverage.
    Took only primal foods - except for my husband's home brew cider, which he can't resist - so ate chicken and veggies roasted in the camp oven, salad, some fruit, vintage cheese, and bacon, lamb chops, tomato and steak cooked over the fire. I just drank water, and attempted a few cups of peppermint tea but was unsuccessful thanks to the baby deciding she doesn't like camping and grouching for about 80% of the time, making it difficult to do much.
    I had hoped to go for a few walks through the empty countryside but my daughter's unhappiness put the kibosh on that too. Did a small amount of exercise while collecting firewood.
    Got home yesterday afternoon and had leftover cold meat and salad for dinner.
    Not our most successful camping trip but at least the food was good. And we didn't see another soul the entire time we were out there, which is always refreshing.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Camping with babies is not the most relaxing experience.

I can remember being absolutely miserable the first time we took our daughter away. Workload was quadrupled. I had to stop thinking of it as a holiday, because there was no rest whatsover for the mother. But it was at least a change of scene and an adventure. However, we didn't go again for years.

Hope your next trip is better. And as you say, at least the food was good.

EmmaM is offline Member
    Yeah, it wasn't great. We won't be going out again for a while now as it will be too cold, so hopefully by the next trip she'll be old enough to enjoy it a bit more.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast