Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The dangers of quitting carbs page 3

paleodog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks Magnolia. I am beginning to see that it is a process of learning and experimenting. I have been enjoying unsweetened chocolate with great results in terms of cravings and satisfying the carb addiction. The other thing I notice too is that the less I eat the less I need to eat. I'ts an interesting cause and effect. I can fast for 18, 24, or 40 hours and not feel famished while I'm fasting. Sure I could eat if something were in front of me but that goes for a lot of things in life in general. The one thing I love about the paleo lifestyle is that it is not rigid or guilt driven. If I don't want to eat for 24 hours it's ok. If I want to eat a 16 ounce salmon filet that's ok too. However, when I know I am eating things that are bad for me that does cause me some guilt because I feel I am not taking good care of myself hence, my reticence on straying too far from the extreme at this point.

Thank you for your comments,

PaleoDog

Degobaa 100% Chocolate is a great substitute for me these days. I will usually one, one ounce square with an espresso I make at home. Perfect!

Wow, awesome results CarbDodger. You are an inspiration!

Thanks,

PaleoDog

NATLES is offline Member
    I can definitely relate to the carb/sugar addiction. I have struggled with this for years. I am also a binge eater. Unfortunately I am not athletic and have been morbidly obese for years. When I first started 3 weeks ago, I had dark chocolate every night. I think it was the one thing that kept me going. I think anyone "quitting" carbs and sugars in such a dramatic way should expect major cravings but they do get better. Good luck on your journey!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    It always amazes me how people think they will successfully quit grains without sugar.
    I have quit grains and sugar but eat carbs in other forms. Today's carbs so far are carrots and celery root. It's not hard to do. I'm not rigid though. I will have some nigiri now and then and some dried fruit or chocolate. Hot honey and lemon with bourbon is nice when you are sick.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Shotglass is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleodog View Post
    ...I firmly believe that sugar and simple carbs are the root of so many other addictions and mental disorders and wonder why our government does not help fix this with better food regulations.....
    Well...follow the $$$.
    Since the government has subsidized grains (corn), allowed greedy corporations to make cheap, highly processed sugar oils (HFCS) and add it to almost every 'not-quite-food' that's processed - and protects the pharmaceutical industry then why in the world would it (government) want better food regulations. As it is, the politicians' donors can get kids hooked at a young age and then both the 'not-quite-food' manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies have another life long customer. If a politician tried to change the current food pyramid, enact better gov't regulation or speak Monsanto's name in vain then I guarantee that he or she would not see another term in office.

Remember: it was gov't regulations/advice that allowed this crap to become common. I'm not going to ask the guy who just robbed me how I should better protect myself.

/rant.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Last edited by Shotglass; 05-30-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I need bulletproof coffee with MCT oil. Without it I crave sweets I find that I need two a day (morning and evening) with two tablespoons of MCT oil in each (plus pouring cream). I really struggle getting enough calories without the oil as I can't really eat enough fruit and veg, I just don't enjoy it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123