Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The dangers of quitting carbs page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yeah, there's nothing wrong with good carbs.

If you have a sweet tooth, perhaps you could try retraining your palate to appreciating dark chocolate instead? The darker the better, and it goes very well with red wine.

When you are trying to break a habit, it's self defeating to think about what you *can't* have (quick, don't think of pink elephants! - see what just flashed before your mind's eye?). Think instead about they things you can and will have that will take the place of the 'bad' things.

And that's where the dark chocolate comes in....
    Dammit, now I have a craving for pink elephant steak.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    You started in January..... it takes TIME to get everything sorted out and for me, the first year of primal was a lot of experimenting and stressing and "I CAN NEVER EAT X AGAIN". Eventually, you'll get into a solid rhythm of eating and nourishing yourself and be able to balance that with treats.

But first, you have to get yourself nourished and healthy, then a lot of the "out of control" cravings go away. It's really hard to cut out all carbs because nutritionally, they bring something to the table. No, junk food carbs don't, but stuff like sweet potatoes, fruits, etc. do. Then if you layer on exercise, sometimes you may well need some rice or a potato. It's really hard to properly nourish and fuel your body without cravings when you eliminate entire macros. Like the low fat thing....

For me, I have finally gotten to the point that my body lets me know what it needs to be fueled and nourished. Now I am dealing with food enjoyment and have found that my anxiety about eating some chocolate or ice cream is actually worse than what happens when I enjoy it. I'm getting there. The "real crap" will start to taste like shit after a month or two of clean eating. But you know, the good stuff is still appealing and figuring out when it can be enjoyed is kind of a challenging exercise.

So it's a process. Keep moving forward, don't give up, don't sweat the binges/cravings and realize that at the end, you can shape a really satisfying and healthy diet. It just takes time to figure it out and along the way you are getting healthier.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

paleodog is offline Member
    Thank you everyone for all of your great and very helpful and encouraging responses. Every one of you has helped me in many ways.

Thank you,

PaleoDog

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    That is interesting about the wine, almost like the early stages of alcoholism. I think I am sort of similar.

Even at my lowest carb range I made room for half a sweet potato at the minimum most days. There really aren't a lot of carbohydrates in them but what carbs they have are effective and come with better nutrition than grains. For someone your height and activity level you can probably afford to start at 200 grams of carbs a day. Also, you sound a tad under weight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    It always amazes me how people think they will successfully quit grains without sugar.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    It always amazes me how people think they will successfully quit grains without sugar.
    i managed it
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Just so you know, some of us do much better with very few carbs, so experiment and see what works for you. The key with very low carb is to salt to taste, sufficient Magnesium, and frequent liver & other organ meats. Also, don't forget to eat!

I added in a reasonable amount of Primal carbs and didn't feel so hot, as well as gaining body fat.

Now that I have dropped my carbs back down to about 40 g/day, I feel great and am dropping my last few pounds.

It's all very individual.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 05-29-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Cutting sugar is very hard. You will have setbakcs but you will succeed if you keep going and don't beat yourself up. It's a strong addiction for some (is for me). I can manage with dark chocolate and manuka honey. Other types of honey make me nauseous as well as other sweet things I used to eat (everything sweet, name it). Dark chocolate and manuka honey don't do that. Sometimes I will eat it every day for a week than not need it for a few weeks than cravings come back. I give in, in the most healthy way possible and feel ok about it. Keep strong!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    i managed it
    Me too. Managed just fine thankyouverymuch. In fact it was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Just so you know, some of us do much better with very few carbs, so experiment and see what works for you. The key with very low carb is to salt to taste, sufficient Magnesium, and frequent liver & other organ meats. Also, don't forget to eat!
    I added in a reasonable amount of Primal carbs and didn't feel so hot, as well as gaining body fat.
    Now that I have dropped my carbs back down to about 40 g/day, I feel great and am dropping my last few pounds.
    It's all very individual.
    Well said and I'm glad you found what works (and doesn't) for you.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    i managed it
    Me too. In fact I personally know of four others that did it too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast