Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily IF or one weekly 24hr fast? page

PrimalWolf is offline Junior Member

Daily IF or one weekly 24hr fast?

Primal Fuel
    So I have been reading about fasting and I was wondering about people's experiences of it.

Specifically, I'm considering the benefits of daily IF (16hr fast, 8 hour munch fest) or doing a once a week 24-36 hour fast. Is one "better" than the other?

FYI I'm a natural ectomorph so not looking to loose weight = I still need a decent amount of calories.

Cheers,

Charlie

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I pretty much eat one meal a day now. It's usually a 20 hour fast (or thereabouts) followed by one huge meal eaten over about four hours.

There's something to be said for not having to be in the kitchen multiple times a day worrying about what to prepare for food. I have so much time for other things and I don't feel the sluggish drag from constantly being in the middle of the digestive process.

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I pretty much eat one meal a day now. It's usually a 20 hour fast (or thereabouts) followed by one huge meal eaten over about four hours.

There's something to be said for not having to be in the kitchen multiple times a day worrying about what to prepare for food. I have so much time for other things and I don't feel the sluggish drag from constantly being in the middle of the digestive process.
    This is exactly what I do
    I love it

Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    This is exactly what I do
    I love it
    Another advantage is I actually find it HARDER to overeat or binge or simply consume too many calories when I am eating this way.

PrimalWolf is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

Sounds amazing. Would love to not have to faff about making breakfast and lunch every day.

Do you find you can maintain body composition eating this way?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    A real fast, i.e., just water for 24-36 hours is a good thing. So is IFing for 18 hours per day. Choose whatever fits into your lifestyle.

There's also 5:2 - eat what you want for five days, and eat fewer than 500 calories two days a week. I like this because it's do-able for the rest of one's life.
    There's also upday/downday. Also something that can be done forever.

I think various fasting methods are good both physically and mentally.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWolf View Post
    Sounds amazing. Would love to not have to faff about making breakfast and lunch every day.

I can and do. What I think is happening and research into fasting suggests is that your body should have enough fat stores that it will preferentially burn its stores of fat before dipping into catabalizing muscles for energy. I believe our bodies are smart enough to know that fat is a richer source of energy than protein and it knows that it can get more energy density per gram of fat burned as opposed to per gram of protein catabalized. Therefore, the body prefers fat before messing with your muscles.

You'd have to be EXTREMELY lean before fasting would lead to muscle catabalizing I think.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWolf View Post

I found it was too hard to physically eat enough food only eating in one window (got cold/depressed). So I eat breakfast too now as well in the mornings.

Coming back to the OP, the weasely answer it 'it depends'. I think that there are two options:
    1. A 'little fast' (either 1 or 2 meals) each day with a feast day(s) in the weekend, or
    2. Eat full means during the week and fast during the weekend

Either can work, although I personally find it more convenient to fast while at work during the week, and feast on the weekends when I can properly devote time to culinary conquests.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    I have had good results with eating one meal a day for the last month. It will usually be 23+ hours between meals. Its worth a try.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One meal a day too around early evening. best WOE I have ever tried. The cool thing is that you can eat about anything you want because from the time your digestion is over (3-4 hours after the meal) to the next meal, the fasting state that is, your insulin stays at baseline and you rely of free fatty acids for your daily energy expenditure. When you have your meal, Regardless of the quantity, you will get a sufficient insulin response that will mostly inhibit the FFA burning because blood sugar and other other nutrients must be disposed of right away. So whether you eat plenty of carbs or none, whatever makes your insulin level go up will indirectly cause the blunting of fat burning during the higher insulin episode. If this happens only once a day for ~ 3 hours, you are extremely insulin sensitive

On the other hand, having 3 squared meals + snacking throughout the whole day will always make your insulin level higher on average than during a true fasting state. The eating schedule is mostly born out of modern habits and you can slowly reprogram that to one meal a day if you find it more practical (I certainly do: time gain, better food budget for high quality foods, etc).

During the fasting state, I keep a bit of salt or super low cal bouillon cube which I am having once in a while. You avoid some funny side-effects when you are new to this WOE (I repeat: go slow into this WOE, you cannot just do it too quick - read pklopp's series on IF if you want to know about all the underlying details).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast