Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australians!!! Need your help! page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Kangaroo is awesome but we have to pay an arm and a leg to get it shipped here to the states. And yes, Aussie men are gorgeous. Not world opinion, my opinion. I've been there.

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Hey mouth doc Wollongong is really lovely place and is not very far from where I live. The supermarkets here carry most of your needs but if they don't your health food shop will. Things like lard you can get in the supermarket without having to worry about added nasties. Good luck with the move.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post
    I don't bother trying to work out if meat is grass fed or not. Restaurants and supermarkets label and charge more for the stuff that is "grain fed". Of course, depending on where the stock lived, it may well be saltbush fed or acacia fed or whatever it can scrounge rather than that monoculture green grass you see in kiddies books. So hence farmers can't claim it is actually fed grass.

Eggs you might have to look for, but check out the local farmers market or organic store, depending on where you live.

Coconut oil you can pick up in either major supermarket, but coconut sugar or coconut aminos etc I grab at the local health food shop. When you get settled just check out the local store and if they don't have what you want, just ask and they will probably order it in.

Brand names will be different. Just ask when you get stuck.

Where you moving to? And when?
    Its a fairly ironic, but beef cattle in our country do better in arid mineral rich areas than in the lush coastal pastures. I used to work for a water driller, every time we hit a "salty" bore west of the great divide (mineral rich water, too salty for human consumption) the farmers would cheer because their cattle could stay in top condition from drinking the salty water.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    Hey mouth doc Wollongong is really lovely place and is not very far from where I live. The supermarkets here carry most of your needs but if they don't your health food shop will. Things like lard you can get in the supermarket without having to worry about added nasties. Good luck with the move.
    Thank you It really does look lovely, and I'm looking forward to being so close to the ocean! I have a feeling that it might be easier (and with a larger selection) to find paleo items in Sydney, although making a short trip into the city every week or so wouldn't be a big deal either. I'll end up where work takes me, and for now, that's Wollongong.

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Most supermarket meat here in Australia is actually feedlot finished (ie fattened on grains). They do spend most of their lives on pasture though, so its not as big a deal as it might be... but definitely something to be aware of!
    CHOICE investigates the path beef follows from paddock to plate - CHOICE

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post
    Thank you It really does look lovely, and I'm looking forward to being so close to the ocean! I have a feeling that it might be easier (and with a larger selection) to find paleo items in Sydney, although making a short trip into the city every week or so wouldn't be a big deal either. I'll end up where work takes me, and for now, that's Wollongong.
    There is no reason why you wouldn't find everything paleo in wollongong.

You definitely wouldn't have to travel to Sydney to get it.

I love buying free range eggs from small block farmers outside of any new zealand or Australian city or town. The ones who just sell their excess eggs at the gate. You can even see the chooks scratching around the paddocks and driveway. Heaven.

Sooz is offline Junior Member
    Great you're moving over to Australia!

I have a free "Paleo Guide to Australia" on my website Welcome - The Paleo Network with lots of listings of suppliers - including many in Wollongong.

I'd also recommend joining the Sydney Paleo meetup group Modern Paleo Sydney (Sydney) - Meetup and coming along to some of our meet-ups!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12