Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So: IF, or not IF? page

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member

So: IF, or not IF?

Shop Now
    This morning, I just didn't feel like eating. I usually IF from dinner to lunch the next day anyway, as it works better with my work schedule. Today though- I just sort of kept going until 7PM. (I was HUNGRY at that point!) Marinara and grass-fed beef over zucchini "noodles" never tasted so good.

Now, this would possibly be a 24 hour IF for me (My first one!) with the exception of some coffee with a splash of heavy cream at about 9AM- and water, of course.

So, out of curiosity, does the coffee consumption "count" as breaking a fast? Is it a 24 hour fast, or one 14 hour and one 9 hour? (Allotting myself an hour of coffee drinking time.)

Inquiring minds want to know!

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    I would not regard coffee as a jeopardizing variable in your fast. I follow the warrior diet principle of fasting during the day and eating one big dinner at night, and that allows for coffee, tea, water, and even some 'living' foods such as fruits and veggies (although lately I have been just not eating anything).

IFs are great! They bring forth much freedom to get all your work accomplished while allocating a very high amount of energy as well. Drink all the coffee your heart desires!

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    I think any non caloric beverage is okay, water, tea, coffee. I take my coffee black when fasting, though some would argue that a bit of cream (or anything up to 50 calories or so) will not "break" the fast. Others are strict about nothing but water.

In the end, if it works for you, have at it. You can try no cal (no cream) and see if that makes any big difference for you.

I think giving up cream would mean giving up coffee in my case!

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Who cares?
    Don't sweat the small stuff.
    How did you feel?
    What do you think?
    Do you think you cheated?
    How did that little bit of coffee and cream affect your overall health?
    IF is nothing more than a trigger to tell you body to quit storing fat. I'm not saying it is wong I suggesting how the body responds.

That's the thing- it wasn't like it was intentional, or that I feel like I "cheated", since I wasn't actually going for a prolonged IF in the first place! I just wanted to see what other people thought about it, and if there was any protocol about it, in case I deliberately add 24 hour fasting into my routine. As it is, IF-ing on a regular basis doesn't seem to be helping me much, but I am trying to go with what my body seems to want and eating intuitively as opposed to standard mealtimes.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Fast on coconut oil. I'm currently doing the leangains 16/8 thing - I skip breakfast, but I still like my morning tea or coffee with something fatty in it. I used to use cream, but now I switched to a tablespoon of coconut oil. The point about it is that while it boosts your metabolism (like eating will do in general and coconut oil does in particular), your body cannot store the medium chain fatty acids (which make up more than 60% of coconut oil). And if you replace more fat with coconut oil throughout the day, your metabolism can be permanently enhanced. I didn't believe it at first, but after having been on a bit of a plateau weight-loss wise, I'm currently losing weight again and at an increased rate, and the only thing that changed was that I started taking coconut oil and eating Thai curries this week. I haven't worked out all week and even ate a few carbs/grains when I visited my parents, and still I lost weight.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If you consume any calories, you are technically no longer fasting.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    My post kind of takes that into account - you might want to read it again. ;-)

IdahoElena is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    So, I'm new here. Haven't read the book. Is there a short, sweet definition and description of the consequences (good or bad) of IF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast