Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowering of human intelligence article page 2

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Lewis, your post reminded me of an interesting TED talk on video games given by cognitive researcher Daphne Bavelier:
    Daphne Bavelier: Your brain on video games | Video on TED.com

I realize this is anecdotal evidence but my husband teaches High School and he's found that the kids that play video games are often the more intelligent. I may be a little biased because our son is unschooled and plays a lot of video games, whenever he meets new people they always remark on how intelligent and mature he is. Maybe he's just the exception.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Lewis, your post reminded me of an interesting TED talk on video games given by cognitive researcher Daphne Bavelier:
    Daphne Bavelier: Your brain on video games | Video on TED.com

I realize this is anecdotal evidence but my husband teaches High School and he's found that the kids that play video games are often the more intelligent. I may be a little biased because our son is unschooled and plays a lot of video games, whenever he meets new people they always remark on how intelligent and mature he is. Maybe he's just the exception.
    I honestly credit video games with my terrible homework scores and awesome test scores all throughout school.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I'm not sure if it is entirely based on genetic selection, either. There's a fair amount of environmental factors that could be relevant- chemical differences could cause a slowdown of synapse transmission. I have no idea if that's true or not, or even possible, but there are a lot of things to rule out before you can say it is definitely genetic.

Also, children have become more children-ified. Parents don't let them do things they are capable of, and educators aren't any better. For example:
    think:lab: 8th Grade Examination from late 1800's
    I'd do terribly at this test, and I've seen similar ones that include a fair amount of Greek and Latin, which this one doesn't include at all.

There's a lot of interesting stories from John Taylor Gatto's book, "An Underground History of American Education" that involve young people of 13-15 doing things like establishing their own homesteads, or becoming captain of a ship, with a full crew. My wife was just talking with a classmate who is about to graduate and hasn't found a job. She fully expects her parents to support her, because they supported her sister. My wife and her classmate are graduating from law school! Everyone is at least 25 years old! Society now has this extended adolescence that is getting longer and longer, where young people are not expected to make any kind of positive contribution to themselves, their families, or society.

I'm ranting, but I'll stop now.
    This and PUFAs, fluoridation, aspartame, HFCS, vaccines, compulsory schooling, the media. etc.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The Flynn effect doesn't explain the why Ashkenazi Jews have a disproportionate amount of Nobel laureates in science. I think intelligence is positively selected for once you are in an urban environment, and that's why Ashkenazis are so intelligent; they've been city dwellers longer than arguably any isolated, continuous genetic pool.

PS, my reflexes are insanely good.

Much better than this guy's...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12