Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Carb question??? page

kiwigal is offline Senior Member

Another Carb question???

Shop Now
    I need help!!!! In fact I need someone to hack my diet for me.

I started the primal/paleo lifestyle 1.5 years ago with around 30 pounds to lose. It took me a year of not really being vigilant with counting calories to lose a grand total of 10 pounds. I started low carb immediately and my carbs came from almonds and vegetables only during the week. I do eat carbs on the weekends. Sweet potatoes, dark chocolate, paleo cakes and cookies.

A year and a half later I am stuck weight loss wise. I have upped my fat, decreased my protein and get into ketosis nicely. Once the three days pass and I am in ketosis, the weight starts melting and magically dropping. However regardless I still suffer from major carb cravings!!!!! Usually on day 4 or 5 I eat "paleo carbs", the scale goes up and I restart and try to go back into ketosis.

I need to get at least another 20 pounds off. Is my body trying to tell me I need to eat carbs??? Do I need to stay at 20 grams less carbs per day and not cheat and just deal with the cravings???

I'm only walking right now. Do I need to start exercising more???

Why do I still suffer with constant carbohydrate cravings even though I've been doing this program for over a year???

Please help me hack my diet.

Thanks guys!!!!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Unfortunately, we don't have the answers. I would suggest you try eating more carbs and see what happens.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I suppose it depends on how badly you want to lose those other 20lbs.
    You seem to have got stuck in a habit of giving in to the cravings, If you get through them it does get easier
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-22-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Z0oom is offline Member
    I have not been able to conquer the carb monster until I started eating without them entirely. Look for the steak and eggs thread and give it a read to get the jist of it. Two meals a day, both steak (or meat) and eggs. I aim for a 1lb to 1.5lbs of meat a day, and 6 eggs a meal. It seems awfully rigid, but it definitely produced the results I was looking for.

Once a week you have your carb re-feed day and it worked out splendidly for me. I realized how many things were holding me back from dropping those last few pounds, and it was because I would have two pieces of fruit at lunch, and then subsequently, ate more carbs at dinner. Not being dependent on those spikes was the key for me gaining complete control over sugar in general.

The problem is that, people argue it is not anywhere near a sustainable diet for an extended length of time. I am on my fourth week and I could do it all summer long easy. But I will definitely make some modifications to include some of my favorite foods, while still retaining the general macros that I was eating on this.

For instance, I will probably be eating this way for a while, but I want to add avocados, maybe a small kale salad with berries mid week, and some other foods in as I go along. I can eat a dozen eggs a day, but I would much rather eat 6 or so, and supplement with avocado, and other fats/proteins. I am using the steak and eggs diet as a platform of which I will build off of, and slowly re-incorporate foods that I know will fit within the same macro nutrient needs.

Whatever you decide to do, I would write it up as a schedule, and stick to it! I like to think of us as having two fuel tanks. One for fats, and one for sugars. Try running on the fat fuel for a while and see how it benefits you. Once you adapt to having only fats, sugars will get stored as body fat, this means you shouldn't be as dependent on burning sugar for energy. All those fruits I was eating while trying to force myself into ketosis with meat and eggs was only setting me back further. But they are necessary at times....so to be safe do a carb re-feed once a week.

As far as the cravings go, they were horrible my first week, lots of temptation. My first re-feed day felt amazing though. Then each subsequent week was much much easier. I think my body likes eating sugars only once a week!

I understand I might have an elementary understanding of some of these concepts regarding nutrient needs and body chemistry, feel free to criticize my advice.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    why are you convinced that carbs are bad? why do you believe that ketosis is the way to lose weight and that you have to be in ketosis?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't sound like you've ever given up carbs long enough to adapt. If you really want to go into ketosis and stay there long enough to lose 20 pounds, you'll have to tough it out for a week or two. Otherwise, you might want to keep a food diary for a week and find out exactly how many calories you are eating. It might be more than you think.

Z0oom is offline Member
    I feel like some of the problem is the availability of carbs today. We can have fruits any day we want, and as much variety as we want due to modern technology. The epicenter of healthy eating today involves going nuts at the produce section and eating lots of fruits and veggies. This is good and all, and can certainly fuel you for life probably, but I do not think it is realistic. Also, you do get hungrier more often when eating more carbs.

I think ingesting things like fruits sparingly once or twice a week is closer to what we evolved eating. If I was raging starving, living in my forest village. I dont think I would go look for berries to get my fill, I bet I would organize a hunt for some meat. Fruits seem to me like a special treat, they really are fun and come in so many interesting shapes, sizes and colors. Its like a rare gift from mother nature......then again, you could argue the same with a zebra, or peacocks haha!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You simply dehydrate when you go ketonic, then you re-hydrate. Normally, once you limit a macro and calories, the effect of deprivations shows up on 2nd, 3rd day.

Try something simple, like eatring carbs sparingly in some reasonable range (half your body weight in grams for starters), and omit dark chocolate (replace with cocoa nibs), cakes and cookies. If you do not lift heavily depleting glycogen, you do not need to deplete and carb-load like that.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Sugars of all kinds increase the desire for more sugar. Therefore, try to cut out all sugars. Eat carbs with a low glycemic load index to that you don't get an insulin rush. "Sweet potatoes, dark chocolate, paleo cakes and cookies" are all in this category. You can replace them with carbs of a much lower glycemic load.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z0oom View Post
    I feel like some of the problem is the availability of carbs today. We can have fruits any day we want, and as much variety as we want due to modern technology. The epicenter of healthy eating today involves going nuts at the produce section and eating lots of fruits and veggies. This is good and all, and can certainly fuel you for life probably, but I do not think it is realistic. Also, you do get hungrier more often when eating more carbs.

I think ingesting things like fruits sparingly once or twice a week is closer to what we evolved eating. If I was raging starving, living in my forest village. I dont think I would go look for berries to get my fill, I bet I would organize a hunt for some meat. Fruits seem to me like a special treat, they really are fun and come in so many interesting shapes, sizes and colors. Its like a rare gift from mother nature......then again, you could argue the same with a zebra, or peacocks haha!
    While it is possible to eat too much fruit, you don't really see much of that going on compared to eating of carbs that come in boxes, bags, or bottles. Only a tiny percentage of the population consistently eats up to suggested intake levels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast