Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reasonable Carbs Daily Challenge page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Reasonable Carbs Daily Challenge

I am not a really good candidate for low carb. However, I am continuously eating carbs in a maintenance range, about 100-150 g, and I would like to train myself to stay in the losing range adequate to my activity. My goal is ~ 65-95 g of carbs per day, with at least 25 g of fiber. I understand that fiber is not necessary for a lot of people but I go very hungry without it, and had to recently start supplementing with glucomannan to help hunger. My goal is to stabilize my food, carb and fiber intake and get off the supplement.

So, starting today:

22 May 2013: Planned: 83 g Total, 30 g fiber Actual: tbd
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Got seduced by watermelon I was chopping for my folks, so swapped blackberries for watermelon, hence the count is a bit different.

Today is a juice-broth day (attempted), so I have no inkling how to count carbs for that.

22 May 2013: Planned: 83 g Total, 30 g fiber Actual: 83/24
    23 May 2013: Juice/broth

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    if you juice you can't count most of the fibre unless you eat the pulp and skins (on fruit you'd normally eat, not oranges,nanas etc)

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    I got a carb challenge you can do, well its more a of a metabolism challenge but it borrows from exercise philosophy. ie in order to make your body robust and able to face many challenges you must give it many challenges, If you only give it one routine, it gets very good at that routine and not much else (think of only doing 10 push ups per day for the rest of time, what will you be good at doing?)

So the challenge you have set your metabolism is to deal with a very specific range of carbs every day, day after day. This is very similar to the daily 10 pushup challenge I mentioned above. It is my prediction that fairly soon your body will be used to the challenge and further body re-composition will be hard to come by, in fact I believe your metabolism will tire of doing this task day after day, it is doing some heavy lifting (generating its own glucose) everyday, like your muscles, your metabolism needs a rest sometimes. In light of this, here is the challenge I set to your metabolism:

---------------

**Once or twice a week challenge your metabolism to make alot of its own glucose for the day by eating in the <50g of carbs range.
    **Once or twice a week challenge your body to deal with excess dietary glucose (and resting your glucose producing systems) by eating in the 150g - 250g of carbs range.
    **the rest of the days in the week just eat in your normal range (somewhere between 50g and 150g carbs) this will give a period of non challenge, but general usage (kinda like how we are supposed to do large amounts of low intensity movements). This will also free up your metabolism for other challenges should you wish (outlined below).

This philosophy can be applied to other diet factors as well like:

Calories:
    **Challenge your metabolism to deal with low amount of cals 1-2 days a week (hello intermittent fasting)
    **Challenge your metabolism to deal with alot (more than normal) of carbs 1 day a week.
    **Eat normal calorie range for the rest of the week
    Just help your body keep it's net weekly Calorie intake just under weekly calorie expenditure.

The same system can be done for:

**Fats
    **Proteins
    **Meal timings (grazing all day v's 1(or 2) big meals)
    **Meal timings (missing breakfast lunch or dinner on a particular day)

some final points are; if you want to do all the challenges, you can do a few of them on the same day (eg low carb day on a fasting day). Just mix up the daily challenges that you combine, on a weekly basis. Also if you are finding there aren't enough normal eating days (should be around half of the days) you can expand the cycle to fortnightly or even monthly or cut down the amount of times you do a specific challenge in a week.

---------------

If you challenge your metabolism like this it should continue re-compositioning your body for you all the way down to it's natural setpoint. This is what happened to me when I lost 60 pounds in four months after eating primal this way.
    The reason I believe it is a very successful protocol is; It is very much like the eating style we evolved to eat over many thousands of years, grok's metabolism would've faced many of the above challenges in similar cycles for eons. Eating like this allows our body to get some good "gene expression" happening and our bodies will naturally tend toward that of a caveman's (strong and robust) without much intervention.

hope I've challenged ya
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

This sounds like an interesting game, but I am so tired of games, I just want to find a steady good enough thing and stick to it. In the past, I had bad consequences from VLC, IF and macro split diets, so I think I am a typical woman in that regard - I need consistency & I don't want to do anything stressful or anything rolla-costa'ish. Yep, high risk yields high rewards, but at this stage of my life, having had tried everything under the sun in the past 4 years, I am aiming for slow and steady. Losing 1 lb in a year is good enough; heck even not gaining will be good enough. Not regaining is all I want, no increase in weight the following week every time I managed to tease off a pound or two! I do want to experiment with a low cal day or two thrown in via broth/juicing, but we'll see. If at 6 pm I will feel like life is not worth living without solid foods....

if you juice you can't count most of the fibre unless you eat the pulp and skins (on fruit you'd normally eat, not oranges,nanas etc)
    I understand & that is why I am not counting it today, because I have no idea how much calories pass from a vegetable into a juice (all juices I am using are mostly vegetables). I still take glucomannan, will take it 3x a day instead of 2 today & I am taking oil to prevent blood sugar/hunger spells.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-23-2013 at 08:32 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Leida, based on CW, which advises 60% of total calories as carbs, you are very low carb. Only in the paleo/primal world would you be considered moderate carbs.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Probably, and my biggest weight loss came at 70% carb. But I found that to be as miserable as <30% carbs.

I want to test the theory that I saw in the Practical Paleo books that for my activity level (active but not an athlete) I need 50-75 g carb. 100-150 seems to be pretty effortless for me, but I am not losing fat, so I want to see if I will start losing fat consistently if I tip it a touch lower (not crazy-lower) and if I can stick to it.

EDIT: And, yeah, I don't think I will ever change: I will forever look for way to lose and not suffer while doing it.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-23-2013 at 09:51 AM.

I'm doing 30-80 with a ceiling maximum of 100 carbs, but I'm eating my veggies. I cook most of them as I have variable gastroparesis and things get slow if I eat fatty meat with raw veg. Do you have a problem digesting vegetable fibre?

No, I have no troubles with digestion as far as I know. My biggest problems are hunger and persistent skin irritation from fructose on one hand, and on another hand - deep depressive spells if I do not eat fruit. So, physically I am better not eating fruit (but getting over 60 g of carbs from vegetables and tubers), but mentally I am better with.

PrimalCon New York
    That's a real bummer. I have to be careful with fruit because of my diabetes. I'm like you as I feel mentally better with fruit in the diet but not all fruits were created equal. I'm using the list at 'the paleo diet' to select my fruits and am finding apricots to have almost no impact on my BS at all. The list gives a breakdown of all the types of sugars in fruit including fructose and perhaps it might be of use to you if you've not come across it before. Link here Sugar Content of Fruit | Nutrition Information from Dr. Loren Cordain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast