Thread: Intervention counsel... page

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member

Intervention counsel...

Primal Fuel
    I know this guy from work (we were both fired, seperate incidents in the same week, so he is also unemployed now), and for the last 2 years or so that I worked with him, he was talking about becoming a personal trainer.

So now that he is unemployed, he is starting his career in that field.

Problem is, he is maaaaybe, 150 pounds of skinny fatness. No exaggerating, has the same gut that I do (which, when I do pushups, I think is quite similar to my largest cat's belly pouch), with a little concave chest and bony back, narrow shoulders.

Not long ago he asked me, "What do the trainers at your gym look like? Like are they big?" It was clear that he had never been in a gym.

He took himself into a local dojo/gym that is owned and operated by like a globally recognized authority on tang soo do and asked this man, whose fitness is reknown and was featured on tv shows and shit in the 90s, if he needs a personal trainer.

So basically he is embarassing himself awfully all over the place. What is a good way to tell him, "are you fuckin serious dude?"
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Eh, I'd let him embarrass himself. Best way to learn, barring emotional disability. I mean, is he embarrassed? If yes, good, he'll figure it out. If not...well, at least he's enjoying himself.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I try that when he comes over every now and then, but he always just makes an excuse to not work out with me. I think that he does pushups in his room to break up 12 hour video game binges.

LOL He has said that he likes to concentrate on perfecting his form, and that he can demonstrate how to do a perfect anything. I want to tell him, "you have no right to use the word perfect until you dont look like shit," but, it would be funnier and of more value to the community if instead I encouraged him to make videos of it? lol
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Meh. There's plenty of incompetent personal trainers out there. One more won't hurt.

Yeah but they don't just come over my house without notice.

I'm sayin- he cramps my style. I thought this forum was filled with feel-goody supportive non-judgmental types and that they would have strategies for handling people of this nature maybe. I was raised with penetrating shame as a means of enforcing behavior standards, so my instinct is to just stab his soul with sharp criticism. That only works on some personality types though, or me and my brothers.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Cant you just tell him your honest opinion if he takes umbrage it doesn't sound like you'll be losing a good friend. You don't need to be cruel or cutting though as that's more likely to make him instantly dismiss it whereas it sounds like you want him to think and gain some self awareness

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Point him to a curriculum for training trainers. If he reads it, he will see his weaknesses. If not, well, you still have the choice of not letting him into your house.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Install a pull-up bar outside your house. Tell him he has to do 10 to enter. When he protests tell him that you are trying to help him achieve his personal trainer goals. Once he can do ten make it 20.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony