Thread: Pre and post nutrition for weight lifting / running page

Dolanshoney is offline Junior Member

Pre and post nutrition for weight lifting / running

Hi everyone ... introduced myself to primal blueprint about six weeks ago, and have had great success. I'm curious as I delve more into the programme, as to what you would recommend. I get up at 0515 five mornings a week to weight train in the gym. At lunchtime, three times a week, I will do between 5 - 10k jogs. Any suggestions for food for fuel (pre and post workouts?). I naturally love all food, and find if I eat fruit, my stomach bloats and if I have a protein shake, it upsets my stomach. So looking for the natural good stuff. Please let me know your thoughts ... Thank you!!!!!!!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Try taking a sweet potato, knife it a few times, then wrap in a wet paper towel and nuke in you r office microwave for 10 or so minutes. Let is sit steaming itself for another 10-15 min. Mush with cinnamon, coconut oil and salt (or anything else you like) and consume. Alternatively chop it into small pieces and nule with egg whites.

If sweet potatoes upset your digestion, do the same with whites.

Mush an avocado with lime, hot sauce/pepper flakes and cilantro and consume with shrimps or tuna.

Throw a coupel of cans of tuna in a blender with a splash of egg whites or coconut milk, hot peppers, horseradish and cilantro... blend and consume...
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you're not trying to lose weight, just eat real food, whatever agrees with you.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Just another little bit of food for thought:

Post Workout Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Try taking a sweet potato, knife it a few times, then wrap in a wet paper towel and nuke in you r office microwave for 10 or so minutes. Let is sit steaming itself for another 10-15 min. Mush with cinnamon, coconut oil and salt (or anything else you like) and consume. Alternatively chop it into small pieces and nule with egg whites.
    Just want to comment on this: If I knife a sweet potato and then nuke it (I don't use a paper towel or anything), it only needs 2.5 minutes per side. I flip it over once to make sure it gets heated as evenly as possible. This is at 100% power. Might want to mess with timing so you don't overcook it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I prefer to roast them in the toaster oven, let them cool, and peel all at once. I think they cook more evenly and dry out a bit more than when microwaved.

That way I only have to roast sweet potatoes once a week. No need to roast a sweet potato at work.

JulieRUNS is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I tried the sweet potato last night hoping to have my energy surge this morning. Before PB I would carb load the night before a big run and then have the energy in the morning. WEll on this program, I consumed the sweet potato - my body was not used to all that sugar/carbs and I went bananas and had to go lift weights and run immediately! I was unable to do a straight run with the food cramping in my side so I did sprints instead.

I'm glad you posted this. I need ideas too. I'm hoping to find something that I can eat the night before my morning runs.