Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Trying to help picky GF eat healthier, but she hates all vegetables...

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Question Trying to help picky GF eat healthier, but she hates all vegetables...

    My girlfriend seems to have a lot of physical issues that seem to be related to inflammation, mostly shoulder and knee pain, headaches, etc. I'm not trying to convert her to paleo/primal, but just trying to help with some of the symptoms I've seen her deal with. She's been taking some fish oil, which has helped, but seems even reluctant to take a multi-vitamin even though she's obviously missing out on a lot of nutrients and minerals.

    I've been trying to get her to eat more vegetables when I cook for her, but she is set on not eating anything she thinks she wont like. 90% of her diet comes from chicken/pork/steak with a side of potatoes/rice/pasta/corn. The only green thing I've seen her eat is raw celery, cucumbers, and pistachios (she actually strained the broccoli out of a gravy her mother made for us).

    Breakfast is limited to pancakes only. Hates eggs, hates bread (ok with this), hates sweet potatoes, hates fish, hates crustaceans, hates salad, etc.

    I've cooked broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, kale with bacon. She has either refused to taste them, because she "knows" she doesn't like them, or eating one bite and no more. That's the diet she's always had, and she seems reluctant to change. I practically soaked some of the veggies in grass-fed butter and salt, her two favorite flavors, but she still didn't want to even try them. I have gotten her to try some new foods she had decided she doesn't like (lobster was the only thing she changed her mind on), but the veggies seem an even bigger hurdle.

    Curious to hear how other people have dealt with picky eaters like this, and what has worked for them in their efforts. For the moment, I'll be cutting up lots of raw celery and cucumbers...
    Last edited by Adwinistrator; 05-22-2013 at 08:27 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    Stop trying to get her to eat things she doesn't "like". Unless her attitude changes, just present more of things that she likes that are healthy.

    If she is still eating pancakes with gluten, you could sub a gluten-free recipe.

    For many people who have major food aversions it goes back to control issues in their childhood, or may be a behavior pattern they learned from a family where everyone has lots of food aversions.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-22-2013 at 08:40 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    10,030
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Stop trying to get her to eat things she doesn't "like". Unless her attitude changes, just present more of things that she likes that are healthy.

    If she is still eating pancakes with gluten, you could sub a gluten-free recipe.

    For many people who have major food aversions it goes back to control issues in their childhood, or may be a behavior pattern they learned from a family where everyone has lots of food aversions.
    I agree with eKatherine, as usual.

    Just be a good example, enjoy real food in front of her, and let her come around in her own time. But don't listen to her whining about problems caused by factors she could change but refuses to.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I agree with eKatherine, as usual.

    Just be a good example, enjoy real food in front of her, and let her come around in her own time. But don't listen to her whining about problems caused by factors she could change but refuses to.
    ^ This.

    When my boyfriend starts whining about his feet I just ask him if he needs help making the appointment for amputation. If he's not willing to find a cure for what ails him, why should I do it for him?

    Has your girlfriend tried the paleo almond butter/banana/egg pancakes yet?
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

  5. #5
    Green Deane's Avatar
    Green Deane Guest
    Change girlfriends, or change your desire to change her. If you can live with her diet, fine. Stay. If you can't, walk. There's no future in you making her miserable and you being miserable, too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    996
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Just be a good example, enjoy real food in front of her, and let her come around in her own time. But don't listen to her whining about problems caused by factors she could change but refuses to.
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    When my boyfriend starts whining about his feet I just ask him if he needs help making the appointment for amputation. If he's not willing to find a cure for what ails him, why should I do it for him?
    and This
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Deane View Post
    Change girlfriends, or change your desire to change her. If you can live with her diet, fine. Stay. If you can't, walk. There's no future in you making her miserable and you being miserable, too.

    Explain your position to her with regards to her health issues once, if she refuses to take the initiative herself, then let it go and do what you need to do.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Deane View Post
    Change girlfriends, or change your desire to change her. If you can live with her diet, fine. Stay. If you can't, walk. There's no future in you making her miserable and you being miserable, too.
    Best response yet.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    55
    Have her read "Wheat Belly" should give her some reasons to at least drop the grains part of her Diet.... My wife has severe taste & texture issues but being in the fitness industry she gets the reasons just occasionally needs some relative reasons to try better choices

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    317
    Plenty of high quality meat, some potatoes or white rice, and a bit of salad sounds like a fine diet to me.

    I would support her in getting the crap out, rather trying to add things she hates.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,780
    Berries/fruit?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •