Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to help picky GF eat healthier, but she hates all vegetables... page

Adwinistrator is offline Junior Member

Question Trying to help picky GF eat healthier, but she hates all vegetables...

Shop Now
    My girlfriend seems to have a lot of physical issues that seem to be related to inflammation, mostly shoulder and knee pain, headaches, etc. I'm not trying to convert her to paleo/primal, but just trying to help with some of the symptoms I've seen her deal with. She's been taking some fish oil, which has helped, but seems even reluctant to take a multi-vitamin even though she's obviously missing out on a lot of nutrients and minerals.

I've been trying to get her to eat more vegetables when I cook for her, but she is set on not eating anything she thinks she wont like. 90% of her diet comes from chicken/pork/steak with a side of potatoes/rice/pasta/corn. The only green thing I've seen her eat is raw celery, cucumbers, and pistachios (she actually strained the broccoli out of a gravy her mother made for us).

Breakfast is limited to pancakes only. Hates eggs, hates bread (ok with this), hates sweet potatoes, hates fish, hates crustaceans, hates salad, etc.

I've cooked broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, kale with bacon. She has either refused to taste them, because she "knows" she doesn't like them, or eating one bite and no more. That's the diet she's always had, and she seems reluctant to change. I practically soaked some of the veggies in grass-fed butter and salt, her two favorite flavors, but she still didn't want to even try them. I have gotten her to try some new foods she had decided she doesn't like (lobster was the only thing she changed her mind on), but the veggies seem an even bigger hurdle.

Curious to hear how other people have dealt with picky eaters like this, and what has worked for them in their efforts. For the moment, I'll be cutting up lots of raw celery and cucumbers...
    Last edited by Adwinistrator; 05-22-2013 at 08:27 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Stop trying to get her to eat things she doesn't "like". Unless her attitude changes, just present more of things that she likes that are healthy.

If she is still eating pancakes with gluten, you could sub a gluten-free recipe.

For many people who have major food aversions it goes back to control issues in their childhood, or may be a behavior pattern they learned from a family where everyone has lots of food aversions.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-22-2013 at 08:40 AM.

RayDWeger is offline Member
    Have her read "Wheat Belly" should give her some reasons to at least drop the grains part of her Diet.... My wife has severe taste & texture issues but being in the fitness industry she gets the reasons just occasionally needs some relative reasons to try better choices

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Stop trying to get her to eat things she doesn't "like". Unless her attitude changes, just present more of things that she likes that are healthy.

If she is still eating pancakes with gluten, you could sub a gluten-free recipe.

For many people who have major food aversions it goes back to control issues in their childhood, or may be a behavior pattern they learned from a family where everyone has lots of food aversions.
    I agree with eKatherine, as usual.

Just be a good example, enjoy real food in front of her, and let her come around in her own time. But don't listen to her whining about problems caused by factors she could change but refuses to.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Plenty of high quality meat, some potatoes or white rice, and a bit of salad sounds like a fine diet to me.

I would support her in getting the crap out, rather trying to add things she hates.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Berries/fruit?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Is she perhaps a supertaster? If she is, she may never come around. If not...

How old is she? I have some experience with severe "veggie-aversion", as both my SO and best friend fall into that category. It is only now that they are both mid-30s that they are cautiously venturing into the realm of vegetables. Not sure where BF came by her issues, SO came about them due to one of those overbearing parents (stepfather in his case) who would make him sit for hours until he cleared his plate. Ugh, thanks dude, for making my life that much harder. He also had poor behavior modeled by his maternal grandfather, who to this day is a very rigid eater that the family bends over backward to cater to. Ex: We had a party where we had a local Mexican food restaurant cater. Family had to go and buy grandpa fast-food burgers because he refuses to touch Mexican food. Same when we had a local well-known BBQ joint cater. Grandpa brought his own McDonalds. These are not the only times this has happened. Blows my mind every time.

Some things I have had some success with: Roasted butternut squash. Sweet potato fries (fried in bacon fat). Spaghetti squash. These are all things he actively likes and will request now. He has eaten more to varying degrees of success, including: brussels sprouts, eggplant, parsnips, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots. We do eat a lot of potatoes, because he will always eat those and they are reasonably ok by primal standards. I usually make sure dinner includes a meat and approved starch for him, then I add in whatever veggies I feel like having on my own. Not ideal, but workable.

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Make some shepherd's pie for her: various vegetables (I mostly use onion, carrot and green beens) with ground meet at the bottom, mashed cauliflower on the top. Or perhaps half cauliflower and half potatoes at first so she does not recognize the cauliflower immediately. I use cauliflower only but add a pinch of curcuma to change the color so my husband thinks it is potatoes. Luckily, he eats plenty of raw vegetables but is not a big fan of cooked ones.

Or Bolognese sauce? You can hide plenty of vegetables there.

I agree with the suggestions above. For starters, instead of focusing on the good things she does not eat, help her ditch the bad ones she eats.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I agree with eKatherine, as usual.

Just be a good example, enjoy real food in front of her, and let her come around in her own time. But don't listen to her whining about problems caused by factors she could change but refuses to.
    ^ This.

When my boyfriend starts whining about his feet I just ask him if he needs help making the appointment for amputation. If he's not willing to find a cure for what ails him, why should I do it for him?

Has your girlfriend tried the paleo almond butter/banana/egg pancakes yet?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Green Deane Guest
    Change girlfriends, or change your desire to change her. If you can live with her diet, fine. Stay. If you can't, walk. There's no future in you making her miserable and you being miserable, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast