Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to help picky GF eat healthier, but she hates all vegetables... page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Who doesn't agree with eKatherine? She strides through the forums, flowers sprouting under her feet where she walks.

OP, you've correctly identified the 'problem' as being a lack of nutrients in your gf's diet. However, I think you're solving that problem in the wrong way. Vegetables are not very nutritious at all. The 'food group' you are missing is organ meats. Try the following sneaky things:

1. Have soups made with bone broths
    2. Make steak-n-kidney pie, with heart as the 'steak' and kidney as the kidney.... use mashed potatoes as the pie topping.
    3. Banana and Egg pancakes don't have the same structural integrity of conventional pancakes (we actually make them as muffins in a mold), but they taste better. Try making them with a 2-1 ratio of bananas to eggs, and see how she likes them

Other than that, work with what you have. Focus on cutting out inflammatory foods (flour, vegetable oils, sugar) and see how her tastes adjust.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Omni is offline Senior Member
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Just be a good example, enjoy real food in front of her, and let her come around in her own time. But don't listen to her whining about problems caused by factors she could change but refuses to.
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    When my boyfriend starts whining about his feet I just ask him if he needs help making the appointment for amputation. If he's not willing to find a cure for what ails him, why should I do it for him?
    and This
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Deane View Post
    Change girlfriends, or change your desire to change her. If you can live with her diet, fine. Stay. If you can't, walk. There's no future in you making her miserable and you being miserable, too.

Explain your position to her with regards to her health issues once, if she refuses to take the initiative herself, then let it go and do what you need to do.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Deane View Post
    Change girlfriends, or change your desire to change her. If you can live with her diet, fine. Stay. If you can't, walk. There's no future in you making her miserable and you being miserable, too.
    Best response yet.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Only thing green my SO will eat is Kool-aid. Nothing you can do except get a good life insurance policy on them for when they finally realize their diet is killing them and it's too late. He thinks grass fed beef tastes funny and even refuses to eat it. Only thing "healthier" I have been able to get him to eat is pastured eggs. He's also lactose intolerant, dislikes the taste of chicken, and won't eat seafood so cooking can really be a chore.

Techie is offline Member
    New girlfriend needed, problem solved and much quicker.

Excuse me for any typos and sarcastic remarks, sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Who doesn't agree with eKatherine? She strides through the forums, flowers sprouting under her feet where she walks.
    I don't know, apparently she has done everything, tried every diet and knows it all and has posted here more in her few months than many people have in years.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by notlupus View Post
    Only thing green my SO will eat is Kool-aid. Nothing you can do except get a good life insurance policy on them for when they finally realize their diet is killing them and it's too late. He thinks grass fed beef tastes funny and even refuses to eat it. Only thing "healthier" I have been able to get him to eat is pastured eggs. He's also lactose intolerant, dislikes the taste of chicken, and won't eat seafood so cooking can really be a chore.
    I know someone who finally gave up on her husband and had him sign up for a bigger life insurance policy so she could spend it with her next husband, and told him that.

Some people aren't going to change. Some people are going to dig in their heels the more you kvetch. Quit kvetching, enjoy your food, let her enjoy hers, and decide how badly you want a Primal girlfriend as opposed to how badly you want THIS girlfriend. She may or may not migrate towards Primal, but she will migrate away from you if you push the issue too hard.
    Last edited by Twibble; 05-28-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    I know someone who finally gave up on her husband and had him sign up for a bigger life insurance policy so she could spend it with her next husband, and told him that.

Some people aren't going to change. Some people are going to dig in their heels the more you kvetch. Quit kvetching, enjoy your food, let her enjoy hers, and decide how badly you want a Primal girlfriend as opposed to how badly you want THIS girlfriend. She may or may not migrate towards Primal, but she will migrate away from you if you push the issue too hard.
    I'm almost there, but he's finally starting to change a little bit. He figured out cheese bothered him the same time I quit dairy, so no more pizza. He exercises a lot but is having trouble losing weight, while I'm female at 16.8% bodyfat without exercising (starting that now, thanks to finally feeling like I've maybe kicked the lyme disease).

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    if it were me, I would seriously contemplate the long term potential of the relationship. That may sound harsh. it may be just me but I have a low tolerance for really picky eaters. I enjoy trying new and exotic foods to much. in my experience picky eaters developed a very narrow range of foods they are willing to eat at a very early age and they are very resistant to change

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is just my own experience, so it may not be your girlfriend's problem, but it can't hurt to have an alternate point of view.

When I was growing up I had a list of foods that I had strong aversions to but was forced to eat anyways. Almost all of those aversions are things I now know I have bad reactions to. The rest of them are foods with similar textures to the bad ones that I've slowly been able to incorporate back into a healthy diet. If she is having the same problem, it may be helpful to try to figure out why she has the aversions in the first place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast