Body By Science Workout Questions
Yesterday I finished my second training session of the Body by Science workout program. For those of you who've done the program, I was hoping you could answer any or all of the following questions that I didn't seem to get answered reading the book:
1) Is there a minimum ideal time for each set? I know after 90 seconds, it says to increase the weight by 10% next time. But what's the ideal time and the minimum time I should adjust my weights to?
2) After my first workout, I was a little sore. This second workout though, I feel I trained much harder but I'm not really sore at all. Since it's only once a week, should I be sore after every workout? Or should I be more concerned with my results and effort of the workout?
3) Should I be doing any kind of warmup or cooldown routine? It seems like I'm a high risk of injury doing an intense 10 minute workout without any warmup.
4) in-between sets should be 30-60 seconds correct?
5) At the end of each set, how long should I be pushing the weight, even if it's not moving? Should I keep pushing as long as I can? 5 seconds? 10 seconds?
Also, I'm doing the free weights version, if anyone has any specific tips for that routine I'd love to hear them.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by noodle24; 05-22-2013 at 03:54 AM.
1. Its individual and in theory is dependant on your muscle fiber type proportions (fast/slow twitch). I do about 60 seconds for most upper body and 90 sec for lower. Find your groove. Set a time and when you hit it up the weight.
Originally Posted by noodle24
2. Just concern yourself with the effort.
3. Go for a walk or do some light reps if you want to. There is no rule one way or the other. I workout in the evening so I'm already "warmed up" in most cases. If I was just hopping outa bed I might do some dedicated warmup.
4. As little rest as possible.... I do virtually NO rest except what it takes to get set up and lift.
5. Till your absolutely positive you cant gut it out and get the weight to move another centimeter. For me a ten second continued push is good. Sometimes its takes 5-10 seconds of intense effort and it budges just enough to finish the rep.