Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much beef is too much? page

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member

How much beef is too much?

Primal Fuel
    So I literally eat beef 4-5 times a week. I eat an occational pork chop and some chicken. Not a huge fan of seafood unless we are talking fried fish or fried clams with tarter sauce but that isn't very primal lol. I can eat plain steak with just a sprinkle of pepper and salt so I dont have to think when it comes to preparing food. Chicken or pork I don't like plain so instead of thinking of a recipe I just toss steak on the grill. I am hoping the cook book will help me out. So anyways how much is too much?

primalpanda is offline Member
    If you're eating 100% grass-fed beef you're good to go. As far as I know there's no "too much"--it's a preferred source of protein. But if you're eating grain-fed the nutritional profile isn't nearly as favorable. Too much omega-6, among other things. If you're eating that much I'd highly recommend buying grass-fed or you're losing out on a LOT of the benefits. At the very least get organic so as to avoid hormones and antibiotics in the fat.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    No such thing! Seriously. With regards to arachidonic acid, even corn fed cows have relatively little omega 6. It`s actually a misconception that feeding grains to cows makes them produce much more omega 6, only less omega 3 and a few fat-soluble nutrients.

Not sure about growth hormones or antibiotics, I just know that in Canada there isn`t much to worry about. I would personally err on the side of mysterious manufacturing substances than omega 6. Grass-fed has lots of good CLA and makes it easier to get a badass PUFA ratio so that`s still my vote no matter what.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Too much beef? Maybe half a cow in one sitting or something...

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member
    Not many days go by that I don't eat beef and I know I am not alone in this crowd. Cow and veggies maybe 6 days a week, fish once a week, but I do supplement with fish oil. Its been about 9 months and I am defiantly much healthier than before by any means of measurement.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Good to know. I just didn't want to be doing harm while trying to do good. Beef it's whats for dinner.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Over 30 grams of protein at one sitting and the body can't absorb it. It may taste great but it goes down the poop shoot.

Eating beef or other high fatty foods affects blood pressure for a few hours after the meal. That is another story.

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Over 30 grams of protein at one sitting and the body can't absorb it

Is that really true? Where did you hear that?

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    It's a fact that your body cannot store protein. It's also obvious that it doesn't need vast amounts of protein all the time. So when you consume too much protein at any given time (more that your body needs at that time) then it must either be converted to glucose in the liver (this is called gluconeogenesis) or get disposed of (through the kidneys). Now, fortunately it takes a long time for protein to be digested, so if you eat a huge steak with plenty of fat and vegetables, the protein of the steak will not hit your body all at once, but instead over several hours. And if the protein demand of your body happens to be high during that time (e.g. you eat the steak after a strenuous workout) then obviously you could be ok (and even a greater than usual amount of dietary protein could be put to its intended use by your body).

But of course it makes sense to even things out a little ... I wouldn't recommend consuming all your daily protein in one meal. Personally I usually drink one protein shake a day, plus two meals with adequate protein.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have heard the 30 grams of protein myth before. Here is an interesting article: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Much-P...ime?&id=721734

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast